California wildfire update: Death toll rises to 40

The deadly wildfire in some parts of California had been contained while others continue to wreak havoc on properties and residents. The death toll rose to 40, as people still expect the number to rise amid search and evacuation rescues.

Many residents have been displaced as the deadly wildfire spread, but some evacuees were reportedly given the go-signal to head home. More than 5,700 homes and structures have been destroyed by the fire, forcing residents to evacuate. The number of people missing is close to 300 though authorities are optimistic they are going to find these people alive.

Evacuees, however, expressed grief even after they had been instructed to go home, as many had no homes to go back to. Michaella Flores, a resident of Santa Rosa, said, "I don't sleep. I haven't had any time to process any of this." Another resident of Santa Rosa, Tammy Key, said that most of her friends that have lived in the neighborhood for most of their lives were now homeless. In some areas, even after advisories were not lifted, some residents requested to go home to check on their belongings.

More than 11,000 firefighters from different areas have been cooperating in fighting the raging fires. Though the number of deaths had increased, the fires have decreased to 15. Most of the people who died were thought to have been killed at the onset of the blaze late Oct. 8, or during the wee hours of Oct. 9. Wildfires were able to reach Sonoma and Napa, known for their wineries and rich history. Of the reported deaths, 22 came from these areas.

As of Sunday, 25 percent of the Nuns fire in Sonoma and 56 percent for the Atlas fire in Napa and Solano have been contained. The wildfire burned up to 217,000 acres. The cause is not yet known, but authorities are looking at power lines as the possible root of the fires.

Newsletter Stay up to date with Christian Today
News
Holy Land leader welcomes release of Palestinian Anglican held by Israel
Holy Land leader welcomes release of Palestinian Anglican held by Israel

Many of the details surrounding Layan Nasir's case remain unclear.

Government fund for historic churches opens for submissions
Government fund for historic churches opens for submissions

The government's handling of funding for historic churches has been criticised.

‘We’ve had nothing like this’ - over 30,000 attend historic Franklin Graham evangelical gathering in Belarus
‘We’ve had nothing like this’ - over 30,000 attend historic Franklin Graham evangelical gathering in Belarus

The two-day “Festival of Hope”, organised by Franklin Graham and the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association (BGEA), drew almost 31,000 people to Chizhovka Arena in the Belarusian capital.

Despite minor improvements, Saudi Arabia remains a tough place for Christians
Despite minor improvements, Saudi Arabia remains a tough place for Christians

Officially, conversion from Islam carries the death penalty.