Flight MH370 disappearance was an 'accident', declares Malaysia

Malaysia declared on Thursday the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 an accident, clearing the way for the airline to pay compensation to victims' relatives while the search for the plane goes on.

The Boeing 777 aircraft disappeared on March 8 last year, carrying 239 passengers and crew shortly after taking off from the Malaysian capital of Kuala Lumpur, bound for Beijing.

Months of searches have failed to turn up any trace.

"We officially declare Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 an accident ... and that all 239 of the passengers and crew onboard MH370 are presumed to have lost their lives," Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) director-general Azharuddin Abdul Rahman said in a statement.

The announcement is in accordance with standards of annexes 12 and 13 in the International Civil Aviation, said Azharuddin. It will allow families of the passengers to obtain assistance through compensation, he said.

Malaysia Airlines was ready to proceed immediately with the compensation process to the next-of-kin of the passengers on the flight, he said.

China called on Malaysia to compensate families.

"We call on the Malaysian side to honour the promise made when they declared the flight to have been lost and earnestly fulfil their compensation responsibilities," Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said in a statement.

Most of the passengers on the plane were from China.

International investigators are looking into why the Boeing jet veered thousands of miles off course from its scheduled route before eventually plunging into the Indian Ocean.

The search in the Indian Ocean is still going on and Malaysia is also conducting a criminal investigation, Azharuddin said.

"Both investigations are limited by the lack of physical evidence at this time, particularly the flight recorders," he said.

"Therefore, at this juncture, there is no evidence to substantiate any speculations as to the cause of the accident."

The DCA plans to release an interim report on the investigation into the missing jetliner on March 7, a day before the first anniversary of the disappearance, a minister said on Wednesday.

"This declaration is by no means the end," said Azharuddin, adding that it will continue with the search for the missing plane with assistance from China and Australia.

Malaysia airline's crisis worsened on July 17 when its Flight MH17, on a flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, was shot down over Ukraine, killing all 298 people on board.

related articles
Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 found update: Families to receive advanced payments, told to go home by airline
Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 found update: Families to receive advanced payments, told to go home by airline

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 found update: Families to receive advanced payments, told to go home by airline

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 shot down in Ukraine, killing all 295 passengers onboard
Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 shot down in Ukraine, killing all 295 passengers onboard

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 shot down in Ukraine, killing all 295 passengers onboard

Repeat tragedies lead to nearly 200 Malaysia Airlines crew resignations
Repeat tragedies lead to nearly 200 Malaysia Airlines crew resignations

Repeat tragedies lead to nearly 200 Malaysia Airlines crew resignations

2014 in review: where was God in a dark year?

2014 in review: where was God in a dark year?

News
Traitors’ winner Harry Clark heads to Rome in new BBC documentary exploring faith in modern Britain
Traitors’ winner Harry Clark heads to Rome in new BBC documentary exploring faith in modern Britain

BBC Two and iPlayer are set to air a new one-hour documentary this Easter charting The Traitors’ winner Harry Clark’s personal pilgrimage from Slough to the Vatican

Christians welcome NI decision to pull out of puberty blocker trial
Christians welcome NI decision to pull out of puberty blocker trial

Nesbitt initially indicated that the province would join the trial.

EU Parliament condemns expulsion of foreign Christians in Turkey
EU Parliament condemns expulsion of foreign Christians in Turkey

Turkey has said the EU is interfering in its internal affairs.

Fewer Britons giving something up for Lent as cathedrals invite deeper reflection
Fewer Britons giving something up for Lent as cathedrals invite deeper reflection

The number of Britons giving something up for Lent has fallen sharply over the past decade, according to new research highlighting a significant shift in how the season is observed.