US won't attack Iran in case nuclear talks fail, but bunker-buster bombs on standby

Admitting that a military solution will not fix the problem, the United States pledged not to launch an attack in case negotiations to curb Iran's nuclear program fails.

In a recent interview, US Secretary of State Ashton Carter said a military attack on Iran will only be a temporary solution but will not completely address the nuclear problem in the long run.

"A military strike of that kind is a setback, but it doesn't prevent the reconstitution over time," Carter told reporters in Pentagon.

"That basically has been the case as long as we've had those instruments and those plans, and I don't think there's anything substantially changed since then," he added.

The Pentagon chief made these statements as diplomats are trying to beat their self-imposed Tuesday deadline to reach a nuclear deal with Iran.

Last month, US President Barack Obama also said he does not intend to order an attack on Iran in case the talks collapse, since it will only spark a destabilising new war in the Middle East.

Obama said a military offensive on Iran will "temporarily slow down an Iranian nuclear program, but it will not eliminate it."

Despite these pronouncements, Carter admitted that bunker-buster bombs, the most destructive weapons being stockpiled by the US, are on standby in case they will be needed.

"We have the capability to shut down, set back and destroy the Iranian nuclear program and I believe the Iranians know that and understand that," the Pentagon chief said.

Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, meanwhile said airstrikes are possible if Iran attempts to build a new nuclear bomb.

"We will always have military options, and a massive ordnance penetrator is one of them," Dempsey said during the Pentagon briefing.

Earlier this year, bunker-buster bombs were successfully tested at the White Sands Missile Range in Mexico.

Newsletter Stay up to date with Christian Today
related articles
Iran deal: diplomats start final push to nuclear agreement in Vienna
Iran deal: diplomats start final push to nuclear agreement in Vienna

Iran deal: diplomats start final push to nuclear agreement in Vienna

US, allies offer Iran new nuke carrot — but Khamenei still won\'t bite
US, allies offer Iran new nuke carrot — but Khamenei still won't bite

US, allies offer Iran new nuke carrot — but Khamenei still won't bite

Iran still undecided on uranium plan ahead of June 30 nuke deal deadline
Iran still undecided on uranium plan ahead of June 30 nuke deal deadline

Iran still undecided on uranium plan ahead of June 30 nuke deal deadline

President Obama stands firm versus Iran, vows to \'walk away\' from bad nuke deal
President Obama stands firm versus Iran, vows to 'walk away' from bad nuke deal

President Obama stands firm versus Iran, vows to 'walk away' from bad nuke deal

News
Church of Scotland issues slavery apology
Church of Scotland issues slavery apology

The Church of Scotland General Assembly said it was “grieved beyond telling” for the suffering inflicted.

The Christian Church in mainland China since 1949
The Christian Church in mainland China since 1949

The history of the Christian Church in mainland China since 1949 is a story characterised by times of dramatic upheaval, near destruction and martyrdom, and unexpected revival.

Church of England releases prayer for national unity
Church of England releases prayer for national unity

Bishops in the Church of England have issued a prayer for unity in the UK that asks God's protection from "the perils of division and hatred". 

Police drop criminal investigation into street preacher
Police drop criminal investigation into street preacher

A pastor has hailed a "win for free speech" after police dropped a criminal investigation into him over comments he made about Islam and transgender ideology while street preaching.