New York police reinstate Muslim police officer earlier suspended for refusing to shave his beard

New York City police officer Masood Syed (in suit) emerges from the court building after a hearing on his case. (Twitter/Pakistani American Law Enforcement Society)

The New York Police Department (NYPD) has reinstated a Muslim policeman who was suspended last month for refusing to shave his beard.

Police officer Masood Syed, a law clerk at NYPD, filed a lawsuit on June 22 to challenge the constitutionality of NYPD's policy that bans beards among its employees after he was suspended without pay and his badge and gun confiscated for refusing to follow the rule.

NYPD has an unwritten policy that allows beards up to 1 millimetre long only for religious accommodation, according to Reuters. Syed has worn a beard from 1/2 to 1 inch for two years for religious reason.

The NYPD was ordered last week to continue paying Syed's salary and benefits pending the outcome of the case.

"It seems like the department has taken the crucial first step in addressing an important and growing concern of officers of many different faiths," said Syed. "I am hopeful that the department's new policy will in fact allow myself and other officers to wear our beards at a reasonable length without the fear of retaliation or hostility."

In a letter to U.S. District Court Judge Paul Gardephe, the New York City Law Department said the NYPD advised Syed on June 29 that he was to report to the department on June 30 "in order to be restored to full duty."

Syed was given a letter confirming his reinstatement and that the NYPD said it will conduct an internal review of its ban on beards.

"The NYPD will also review its policies and practices regarding the case-by-case assessment it performs of requests for reasonable accommodations submitted to the NYPD's Office of Equal Employment Opportunity" regarding the beard policy and its disciplinary procedures, and compliance with reasonable accommodation including the 1 millimeter exception, the letter says.

It adds that during the 120-day review, Syed will not be subjected to any action about complying with the policy.

The law department has also asked the court to adjourn the hearing scheduled on July 8 regarding Syed's request for preliminary injunction against the policy. It said Syed agreed to the request.

News
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship

Authorities in Sudan are obstructing efforts by a church to rebuild and even to use their place of worship

Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist
Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist

Dr Emil Saleem Shehadeh has some sage advice for how Christians can engage with their Muslim neighbours and colleagues during Ramadan.

David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban
David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban

Having already been banned, the latest sanction merely reinforces an earlier decision.

Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by
Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by

The constellation of powers that produced the eradication of the Armenian Christian presence in Nagorno Karabakh now have their sights on the Republic of Armenia itself.