Notre-Dame to reopen in a year's time, says Macron

 (Photo: Getty/iStock)

Notre-Dame, the Paris cathedral devastated by fire on 15 April 2019, will reopen a year from now, says the French President. 

Emmanuel Macron paid a visit to the cathedral on Friday to see the progress of reconstruction work. 

Last month, an important step in the restoration of the landmark was taken when the spire was added. 

Macron was shown the new oak spire during his visit to the cathedral last week, where he was accompanied by Archbishop Laurent Ulrich.

When the cathedral was ravaged by fire, Macron had promised that it would be rebuilt within five years. 

Then in August this year, Macron announced that the cathedral would reopen on December 8, 2024.

The new spire measures 96 metres and has been built in an identical style to the 19th century one that crashed through the roof during the 2019 blaze. 

Standing with restoration workers on the scaffolding, Macron called the addition of the new spire "an important and emotional moment".

"Deadlines will be met. It is a formidable image of hope and of a France that has rebuilt itself," he said. 

News
Pastor considers legal action after arrest over comments on Islam and transgender ideology
Pastor considers legal action after arrest over comments on Islam and transgender ideology

The Alliance Defending Freedom warns of more such arrests if the government introduces its much-maligned definition of 'anti-Muslim hatred'.

Why do Christians observe Shrove Tuesday?
Why do Christians observe Shrove Tuesday?

17 February 2026 is Shrove Tuesday, the traditional day for eating pancakes before the start of Lent. This is the story …

CoE announces £400,000 to get young people into choirs
CoE announces £400,000 to get young people into choirs

Most CoE choirs currently have no children involved.

Christian social worker who lost job offer over marriage and sexuality beliefs wins appeal
Christian social worker who lost job offer over marriage and sexuality beliefs wins appeal

A Christian social worker whose offer of a job was withdrawn over public comments he made about marriage and sexuality has won his case at appeal.