Fresh Ukraine clashes leave four dead

Fighting erupted between Ukrainian government forces and Russian-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine on Tuesday and four Ukrainian servicemen have been killed, the regional administration chief said.

Gennady Moskal, governor of Luhansk region on the border with Russia, said on his website that separatists opened fire on government positions with mortar and artillery near the village of Katerinovka.

"According to preliminary data, four Ukrainian servicemen have been killed and two others have been wounded, one of them seriously," Moskal said.

The fatalities could not immediately be confirmed by the military in Kiev.

Though a ceasefire was declared after peace talks in Minsk, Belarus, in February, skirmishes and violations have continued with a daily mounting casualty toll from fighting mostly north-west of the city of Donetsk and near the coastal town of Mariupol on the Sea of Azov.

Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said last week that 83 Ukrainian servicemen had been killed since the ceasefire theoretically came into force in February.

Since then, five Ukrainian servicemen were killed over the weekend alone. The separatists have not given any casualty figures.

Newsletter Stay up to date with Christian Today
related articles
Ukraine\'s pro-Russian rebels are using banned heavy weapons, government says
Ukraine's pro-Russian rebels are using banned heavy weapons, government says

Ukraine's pro-Russian rebels are using banned heavy weapons, government says

Ukrainian Church leaders: The West must wake up to the threat of Russia
Ukrainian Church leaders: The West must wake up to the threat of Russia

Ukrainian Church leaders: The West must wake up to the threat of Russia

News
A three day journey by canoe to receive life-saving treatment from Mercy Ships
A three day journey by canoe to receive life-saving treatment from Mercy Ships

Most Madagascans cannot afford surgery, even on the rare occasions its available.

Drought insurance helps Nepal families survive food crisis
Drought insurance helps Nepal families survive food crisis

An innovative drought insurance scheme has provided emergency support to hundreds of vulnerable farming families in western Nepal

Britain has become ‘dangerously complacent’ over family breakdown
Britain has become ‘dangerously complacent’ over family breakdown

Dr Harry Benson, Research Director at the Marriage Foundation, said the latest official data on families and households pointed to a “profound social change” that had received little public attention despite long-term consequences for family stability and child wellbeing.

Church of Scotland issues slavery apology
Church of Scotland issues slavery apology

The Church of Scotland General Assembly said it was “grieved beyond telling” for the suffering inflicted.