Christians Respond to Collapsed Bridge with Aid, Prayers

Christian organizations and individuals across the country have stepped in to offer aid and prayer for survivors of Minneapolis's collapsed bridge as rescuers continue to comb the river for the missing and the nation still tries to grapple with the reality of the shocking event.

"Our prayers go out to the families who have lost loved ones in the collapse of the interstate highway bridge in Minneapolis, and we join in prayer with the larger community grieving in the wake of this disaster," expressed the Christian humanitarian agency Church World Service in a statement.

On Wednesday, an interstate bridge just blocks from the heart of Minneapolis collapsed, killing at least five people, according to CNN Friday. At least 79 people were injured and eight people are still missing as searchers continuedto comb the Mississippi River for the victims.

The eight-lane I-35W bridge, a major Minneapolis artery, collapsed into the river in less than four seconds, bringing with it dozens of cars as well as construction workers that were in the midst of repairing two lanes on the bridge.

"This bridge collapse and the deaths and injuries are a tragic blow for the people of Minneapolis," commented CWS. "We pray that our care and concern will somehow cushion that blow as we gather them in a collective embrace supported by faith."

Several Christian relief agencies are offering assistance to victims of the collapse bridge.

Salvation Army emergency disaster services personnel were on hand nearly immediately after the fatal accident.

Three Salvation Army emergency disaster services vehicles (canteens) and 15 volunteers were on the scene of the tragedy within moments of the deadly accident. The canteens remained throughout the night and the organization said it will provide aid as long as needed.

"This is why The Salvation Army exists," said Captain Adam Moore, in a statement. "We help people make sense of tragedy and help them put the pieces back together."

Moore was only about a half mile south of the bridge about to head north on I-35W when the bridge collapsed.

Currently, staffs are on hand offering physical, emotional and spiritual aid to hundreds of survivors and relief workers.

Canteens are offering food and water for relief workers and survivors. Meanwhile, Salvation Army officers (pastors) and volunteers trained in Critical Incident Stress Management are offering emotional and spiritual care. So far the Salvation Army has served 475 people.

The Southern Baptist disaster relief unit in Minnesota has also offered its relief response unit.

"At this point they are in a recovery effort and they're saying they probably will not need our services," said David Sundeen, director of evangelism at the Minnesota Wisconsin Baptist Convention, according to the Baptist Press. "But we're ready to go just in case."

President Bush has also offered aid and prayer in response to the tragic incident.

"I told them [Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty and Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak] we would help with rescue efforts," said Bush, "But I also told them how much we are in prayer for those who suffered. And I thank my fellow citizens for holding up those who are suffering right now in prayer," he said Thursday.

The collapse does not appear to be terrorism-related, but rather the 40-year-old bridge was "structurally deficient," reported the Minneapolis Star Tribune, citing the U.S. Department of Transportation's National Bridge Inventory in 2005.
Newsletter Stay up to date with Christian Today
related articles
Search for Missing in Minneapolis Bridge Collapse

Search for Missing in Minneapolis Bridge Collapse

Death Toll Rises from US Bridge Collapse

Death Toll Rises from US Bridge Collapse

Salvation Army Responds Following Minneapolis Bridge Collapse

Salvation Army Responds Following Minneapolis Bridge Collapse

News
Holy Land leader welcomes release of Palestinian Anglican held by Israel
Holy Land leader welcomes release of Palestinian Anglican held by Israel

Many of the details surrounding Layan Nasir's case remain unclear.

Government fund for historic churches opens for submissions
Government fund for historic churches opens for submissions

The government's handling of funding for historic churches has been criticised.

‘We’ve had nothing like this’ - over 30,000 attend historic Franklin Graham evangelical gathering in Belarus
‘We’ve had nothing like this’ - over 30,000 attend historic Franklin Graham evangelical gathering in Belarus

The two-day “Festival of Hope”, organised by Franklin Graham and the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association (BGEA), drew almost 31,000 people to Chizhovka Arena in the Belarusian capital.

Despite minor improvements, Saudi Arabia remains a tough place for Christians
Despite minor improvements, Saudi Arabia remains a tough place for Christians

Officially, conversion from Islam carries the death penalty.