'Star Wars Battlefront 2' news: Creative director confirms no DLC season pass will be made for upcoming sequel

Promotional image for the "Star Wars Battlefront" game from EA. Facebook/EAStarWars

"Star Wars Battlefront 2" creative director Bernd Diemer has confirmed that there will be no season pass for the upcoming sequel's downloadable content (DLC). Instead, the studio will be offering "something better" for all players.

Since the trailer for "Battlefront 2" was released over the weekend, fans became more excited to learn about the anticipated Electronic Arts (EA) title. It has been previously revealed that the action shooter will feature an expanded online multiplayer campaign, new characters and a couch co-op for Xbox One and PlayStation 4 (PS4). Further details about the game's DLC have been kept under wraps until now.

Ahead of the game's huge Star Wars Celebration 2017 reveal, Digital Illusions AB (DICE) creative director Bernd Diemer confirmed the studio is ditching the season pass for the sequel. "We don't have a season pass. We decided on that, and it's one of those difficult decisions because it has so many implications all around," he told Mashable, adding, "When we looked at the way 'Battlefront' had evolved over its lifetime, with the DLC and everything, we decided, 'You know what? For this type of game, season passes are not the best thing. We need to [take it apart] and come up with something better."

Shortly after publication, EA asked the media outlet to withhold the confirmation that there will not be a season pass. The developer also promised to share more about their plans for the sequel "soon."

"Battlefront 2" lets players take on the role of Iden, a member of the Inferno Squadron who has a wide array of fighting abilities and leadership skills. The story picks up with the last events of "Return of the Jedi" when Iden is shocked to see the second Death Star explodes and breaks into pieces. She eventually decides to avenge her Emperor who died at that point. The sequel's ensuing story will fill in the gaps between the "Return of the Jedi" and "The Force Awakens," which occurred roughly 30 years later.

Meanwhile, DICE has completely redesigned the multiplayer aspect of the game. As opposed to focusing on just the original "Star Wars" trilogy, the sequel's multiplayer mode will explore the entire film franchise. This includes the prequels and the more recent films

"Star Wars Battlefront 2" will be available for PS4, Xbox One and PC on Nov. 17.

News
Traitors’ winner Harry Clark heads to Rome in new BBC documentary exploring faith in modern Britain
Traitors’ winner Harry Clark heads to Rome in new BBC documentary exploring faith in modern Britain

BBC Two and iPlayer are set to air a new one-hour documentary this Easter charting The Traitors’ winner Harry Clark’s personal pilgrimage from Slough to the Vatican

Christians welcome NI decision to pull out of puberty blocker trial
Christians welcome NI decision to pull out of puberty blocker trial

Nesbitt initially indicated that the province would join the trial.

EU Parliament condemns expulsion of foreign Christians in Turkey
EU Parliament condemns expulsion of foreign Christians in Turkey

Turkey has said the EU is interfering in its internal affairs.

Fewer Britons giving something up for Lent as cathedrals invite deeper reflection
Fewer Britons giving something up for Lent as cathedrals invite deeper reflection

The number of Britons giving something up for Lent has fallen sharply over the past decade, according to new research highlighting a significant shift in how the season is observed.