When is Easter 2014? date in USA coincides with Easter Orthodox Easter this year
This year, Easter Sunday will fall on Sunday, April 20, 2014. The date coincides with the Greek Orthodox Easter date, which is observed by Eastern Orthodox churches across Russia and Europe.
Christians in the West follow the Gregorian, while the Eastern Orthodox Christians follow the Julian calendar. Sometimes, the Easter dates can coincide.
The date of celebrating Easter changes every year, due to the moon and vernal equinox. The vernal equinox was on March 20 this year, and the first full moon is expected April 15, which will also be a lunar eclipse.
Christians around the world celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ on Easter Sunday, which is the third day after his crucifixion on the cross. Easter is the culmination of the Passion of Christ, preceded by a forty day fasting and prayer period called Lent.
Easter is followed by a fifty-day period, which ends with the Pentecost.
In New York City, the annual Easter and Bonnet parade will be held this year. There will also a number of egg hunts for kids across the city. See a full list of Easter Egg hunts in Manhattan here.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- Sun, snow and storms: What role does weather play in the Bible?
- Sermon of the Year winner: 'God in the dark'
- Why 'The Benedict Option' is a good option for Christians
- We have them for schools and universities. Why not a league table for churches?
- Should I care about Martin Luther's 95 Theses?
- A martyr for our moment: 3 lessons from the radical Christian sacrifice of St Alban
- Cathedrals in crisis? Three ways we could support their growing ministry
- Most religious groups support gay marriage - with the exception of white evangelical Christians
- One reason your church may not be growing – and five things that might help
- Landslide buries mountain village in southwest China, fears for 141 people
- Trump, Putin and Erdogan behave like autocratic rulers - Germany's Schulz
- Chile's President asks forgiveness from indigenous Mapuche ahead of Pope visit
- Iraqi forces battle ISIS, towards heart of Mosul's Old City
- Police consider manslaughter charges over London blaze as thousands evacuated
- Sudanese churches in defiant open letter: We are victims of 'systematic violation of Christian religious freedoms'