When is Easter 2014? date in USA coincides with Easter Orthodox Easter this year
This year, Easter Sunday will fall on Sunday, April 20, 2014. The date coincides with the Greek Orthodox Easter date, which is observed by Eastern Orthodox churches across Russia and Europe.
Christians in the West follow the Gregorian, while the Eastern Orthodox Christians follow the Julian calendar. Sometimes, the Easter dates can coincide.
The date of celebrating Easter changes every year, due to the moon and vernal equinox. The vernal equinox was on March 20 this year, and the first full moon is expected April 15, which will also be a lunar eclipse.
Christians around the world celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ on Easter Sunday, which is the third day after his crucifixion on the cross. Easter is the culmination of the Passion of Christ, preceded by a forty day fasting and prayer period called Lent.
Easter is followed by a fifty-day period, which ends with the Pentecost.
In New York City, the annual Easter and Bonnet parade will be held this year. There will also a number of egg hunts for kids across the city. See a full list of Easter Egg hunts in Manhattan here.
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- 'Life' might just be the most anti-Christian movie you'll see this year
- 'People all over the world are praying for you': Billy Graham chaplains help those affected by London terror
- 'Love divine, all loves excelling': 7 inspiring hymns by Charles Wesley
- How do evil spirits work? Can we inherit them from our ancestors?
- Was Christopher Columbus really a Jew fleeing persecution by the Spanish Inquisition?
- Christians are to the fore in efforts to find homes in the UK for thousands of Syrian refugees
- Render unto Caesar: The new pound coin has an uncomfortable message for the Church
- A Christian ministry brings healing to Jewish children and seniors in Ukraine
- A family in the United States is battling for the right to name their daughter 'Allah'
- US pastor charged for 'illegal' Bible study in Russia appeals to European Court of Human Rights
- Tribes, tensions and gay marriage: What's the future for the Church of England?
- Will Northern Ireland's political meltdown scupper Pope Francis' visit next year?
- Another Catholic priest killed in spiralling Mexico violence
- 'The devil's come down': How rape and murder are stalking the displaced of South Sudan
- Terror will never drive us apart, pledge Archbishops, Imams and Chief Rabbi