UFC news 2015: Dana White bares Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort rematch in the works

Dana White [photo: Commons Wikimedia/Justin Moore]

Vitor Belfort could be gaining ground if Dana White's plans do materialize. Belfort is coming fresh from a recent conquest of Dan Henderson at Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Fight Night 77, but it looks like he could be up against a former tormentor, Anderson "Spider" Silva in 2016.

Silva is currently serving out a one-year suspension meted by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) due to the use of banned substances earlier this year against Nick Diaz. The suspension is, however, expected to lapse by Jan. 31, 2016 and White is getting ready.

Both fighters faced off way back in 2011 at UFC 126, with Silva winning with a big knockout (KO) win over Belfort. Silva went on a tear after that but later on fell to Chris Weidman twice. The second meeting proved costly for the Brazilian fighter as it saw him break his leg that kept him out of UFC action.

It wasn't until January of this year that he returned but all that became futile when he was found in violation of banned substances by NSAC.

Aside from the suspension, the whole issue did cost him a total of $380,000 which was another whammy for his comeback aspirations. The decision was handed out only in August but the suspension was retroactive to the date of the Silva vs. Diaz fight.

White revealed through The Joe Rogan Experience that this match is currently being worked on. The idea of the Silva vs. Belfort rematch seems to be a brilliant one, only that it depends as well if Silva will continue to fight in the UFC or call it a career. At 40 years old, Silva isn't exactly the young fighter he once was. Paired with his long layoff, he somehow becomes an underdog against the streaking Belfort if the match would indeed push through.

News
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings

The newly installed Archbishop of Westminster has said the Church must learn from victims of sexual abuse.

Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report
Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report

The institution of marriage has undergone a dramatic transformation over the past five decades - particularly among young adults.

Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent
Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent

One of England’s most well-known, historic and picturesque cathedrals has announced plans to run a Lent series looking at truth in the modern world.