Canelo Alvarez next fight rumors: Fight with Amir Khan seen as mismatch

Saul "Canelo" Alvarez [photo: Commons Wikimedia/ Free Wallpapers]

World Boxing Council (WBC) lineal middleweight champion Saúl "Canelo" Alvarez has finally found an opponent, with word that he will be facing Amir Khan this coming May 7.

Alvarez was seemingly out of options and the surprise bout was something many did not see coming.

The May 7 joust will be Alvarez' voluntary defense before moving up to more serious business — that mandatory tiff with Gennady "Triple G" Golovkin. Triple G is the mandatory challenger, with a fight between the two expected to happen in the fall.

For now, Alvarez will have to see what Khan brings to the table. Many consider Khan a formidable foe, but only on paper. Regardless, Golden Boy Promotions owner Oscar De La Hoya holds high regard for the Briton who has been shunned twice by Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao.

Khan was initially believed to be all set for a big fight with International Boxing Federation (IBF) champion Kell Brook, but both sides failed to come to an agreement. The fight purse split was one of the issues which last saw Brook promoter Eddie Hearn offering a 60–40 split.

Another opponent Khan was linked to is Danny Garcia. Khan was made the mandatory challenger to the newly minted belt won by Garcia over Robert Guerrero.

Garcia and Khan have a history, with the former winning via knockout (KO). Nothing has materialized on a possible tiff involving the two so far.

Against Alvarez, Khan will have his hands full. The Mexican has been tagged as a dangerous boxer, packed and energetic, which could be too much for Khan to handle.

Khan's chin has repeatedly been suspect and his punches lack some power as well. Critics see Khan to stick and move while doing more running as well.

Even though two big names will clash on May 7, it seems that things are seen differently when both take the ring. Knowing Khan, it shouldn't be surprising if he comes out blabbering yet again, something that cost him the Mayweather and Pacquiao fight.

News
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings

The newly installed Archbishop of Westminster has said the Church must learn from victims of sexual abuse.

Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report
Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report

The institution of marriage has undergone a dramatic transformation over the past five decades - particularly among young adults.

Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent
Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent

One of England’s most well-known, historic and picturesque cathedrals has announced plans to run a Lent series looking at truth in the modern world.