Turkish president an ISIS 'collaborator,' Kurds say after suicide bomber kills 30

Kurdish demonstrators clashed with Turkish police in Istanbul in the aftermath of a suicide bombing allegedly perpetrated by Islamic State militants on Monday that killed more than 30 people and wounded at least 100 others, mostly young students, in the border town of Suruc, officials said.

The demonstrators, whose ranks ballooned to thousands, denounced Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, accusing him of being an ISIS "collaborator."

The attack targeted a group of university-aged activists in the Kurd-dominated town of Suruc, located in southeastern Turkey.

The blast occurred while a rally, which called for more aid in rebuilding the Syrian Kurdish city of Kobani, was being held midday at the Amara Cultural Park in Suruc.

Demonstrators chanted "Erdogan is a killer" and "Erdogan is a collaborator," and promised "Vengeance for the PKK."

There were also chants that said: "Murderer Islamic State, collaborator Erdogan and AKP."

Kurdish leaders alleged that the Turkish president is using the Kurds as a buffer against the ISIS and that he supported the Islamist extremist group in their occupation of the autonomous Kurdish area.

The Kurdistan Workers' party accused the government of "supporting and cultivating" ISIS, a view shared by the People's Democracy Party, the Kurdish parliamentary wing.

"The administrators in Ankara who hurl threats at the HDP and pat the heads of IS are partners in this barbarity," said Selahattin Demirtas, co-chair of the People's Democrat Party in a statement.

Protesters in Istanbul were dispersed by a large contingent of riot police, who responded to protesters with water cannon, flash bangs, and tear gas.

Eyewitnesses described the police's response as disproportionate" and "indiscriminate." However, there were also reports of protesters throwing stones at police stations.

Violence resurfaced after sunset, however, following the initial crackdown by authorities. Footages show police and protesters in running clashes.

Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu previously suggested that ISIS was behind the attack in Suruc and asked the country to stand united, saying the government would not hesitate to take action following the deadly explosion.

Another Turkish official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the government believes the assault is "retaliation to the Turkish government's fight against terrorism."

The official then urged the international coalition against ISIS to "more actively pursue a solution to the crisis in Syria."

Erdogan denounced the attack in Suruc, saying: "Terror doesn't have a nation, race or homeland. That is why we have been consistent in underlining the need for a global effort to fight terror."

related articles
Latest ISIS executions show risks faced by secret resistance groups in Syria and Iraq
Latest ISIS executions show risks faced by secret resistance groups in Syria and Iraq

Latest ISIS executions show risks faced by secret resistance groups in Syria and Iraq

Turkey: Ancient Syriac church could be turned into a mosque
Turkey: Ancient Syriac church could be turned into a mosque

Turkey: Ancient Syriac church could be turned into a mosque

ISIS may send female jihadists to Europe to attack Christian sites, warns Syrian expert
ISIS may send female jihadists to Europe to attack Christian sites, warns Syrian expert

ISIS may send female jihadists to Europe to attack Christian sites, warns Syrian expert

ISIS is Islam and Islam is ISIS, and its plotting to rule entire world, nun warns
ISIS is Islam and Islam is ISIS, and its plotting to rule entire world, nun warns

ISIS is Islam and Islam is ISIS, and its plotting to rule entire world, nun warns

Turkey: Suspected ISIS suicide bombing kills at least 27
Turkey: Suspected ISIS suicide bombing kills at least 27

Turkey: Suspected ISIS suicide bombing kills at least 27

News
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings

The newly installed Archbishop of Westminster has said the Church must learn from victims of sexual abuse.

Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report
Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report

The institution of marriage has undergone a dramatic transformation over the past five decades - particularly among young adults.

Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent
Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent

One of England’s most well-known, historic and picturesque cathedrals has announced plans to run a Lent series looking at truth in the modern world.