Pope Misses Ash Wednesday Service but May be Released Today

Pope John Paul II yesterday missed the Ash Wednesday service for the first time since he began his run as the Pope nearly three decades ago. The Pope was hospitalised last week, and although doctors have said that his condition is improving, he has been detained in hospital as he recovers from breathing difficulties caused by the flu.

Due to the Pope’s old age and Parkinson’s disease, doctors have said that his recovery is more complicated than normal, as his lungs and abdomen are kept restricted in a crunched position. However, a majority of Catholics still believe that he should continue as long as mentally he remains active.

Doctors surrounded the 84-year-old as he celebrated Mass in Rome’s Gemelli Polyclinic. The pope invited his doctor, Renato Buzzonetti, and others to join him, papal spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls said.

Doctors urged John Paul to prolong his hospital stay to be on the safe side, and the Vatican has not set a date for his discharge. However, today, Thursday 10 February, the Vatican is expected to announce the Pope’s imminent discharge from the hospital.

Vatican spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls said on Wednesday that he hoped an update on the frail 84-year-old Pope’s condition, scheduled for noon (1100 GMT) on Thursday, will be the last.

It has even been rumoured that the Pope may even be well enough to give the traditional Angelus blessing on Sunday.

The hospitalisation of John Paul II released a wave of concern across the world for nearly one billion Catholics, and media attention has been enormous outside Gemelli hospital near the Vatican over the past week.
Newsletter Stay up to date with Christian Today
News
A three day journey by canoe to receive life-saving treatment from Mercy Ships
A three day journey by canoe to receive life-saving treatment from Mercy Ships

Most Madagascans cannot afford surgery, even on the rare occasions its available.

Drought insurance helps Nepal families survive food crisis
Drought insurance helps Nepal families survive food crisis

An innovative drought insurance scheme has provided emergency support to hundreds of vulnerable farming families in western Nepal

Britain has become ‘dangerously complacent’ over family breakdown
Britain has become ‘dangerously complacent’ over family breakdown

Dr Harry Benson, Research Director at the Marriage Foundation, said the latest official data on families and households pointed to a “profound social change” that had received little public attention despite long-term consequences for family stability and child wellbeing.

Church of Scotland issues slavery apology
Church of Scotland issues slavery apology

The Church of Scotland General Assembly said it was “grieved beyond telling” for the suffering inflicted.