Nigeria: At least 10 dead in suspected Boko Haram suicide attack

At least 10 people were killed and 11 wounded on Friday in a suicide attack at a mosque in northeastern Nigeria's Borno state, hospital sources said.

Borno state is the birthplace of the Boko Haram insurgency and has been the focus of attacks by suspected members of the militant Islamist group that have killed around 1,000 people since President Muhammadu Buhari took office in May.

A suicide bombing during dawn prayers at a mosque in the state capital Maiduguri killed at least 10 people, a hospital source said.

Abdulkadir Ibrahim, spokesman of the National relief agency, put the death toll at six. Another hospital source said 11 people had been wounded.

No one has claimed responsibility for the attacks but Ibrahim blamed the jihadi movement, which has been trying to carve out a state in the northeast of Africa's most populous country since 2009.

Newsletter Stay up to date with Christian Today
related articles
Over 1.4 million children forced to flee Boko Haram, UN says
Over 1.4 million children forced to flee Boko Haram, UN says

Over 1.4 million children forced to flee Boko Haram, UN says

Could football be the new religion for Islamic radicals?
Could football be the new religion for Islamic radicals?

Could football be the new religion for Islamic radicals?

Many of the kidnapped Chibok girls are still alive, reveals escapee

Many of the kidnapped Chibok girls are still alive, reveals escapee

News
A three day journey by canoe to receive life-saving treatment from Mercy Ships
A three day journey by canoe to receive life-saving treatment from Mercy Ships

Most Madagascans cannot afford surgery, even on the rare occasions its available.

Drought insurance helps Nepal families survive food crisis
Drought insurance helps Nepal families survive food crisis

An innovative drought insurance scheme has provided emergency support to hundreds of vulnerable farming families in western Nepal

Britain has become ‘dangerously complacent’ over family breakdown
Britain has become ‘dangerously complacent’ over family breakdown

Dr Harry Benson, Research Director at the Marriage Foundation, said the latest official data on families and households pointed to a “profound social change” that had received little public attention despite long-term consequences for family stability and child wellbeing.

Church of Scotland issues slavery apology
Church of Scotland issues slavery apology

The Church of Scotland General Assembly said it was “grieved beyond telling” for the suffering inflicted.