Israel 'ignores' UN demand to end settlement building in occupied territories

Israel has ignored a demand by the United Nations Security Council to halt settlement building and some Palestinian groups are continuing to incite violence against Jews, UN Middle East envoy Nickolay Mladenov told the 15-member body on Friday.

It was Mladenov's first report on the implementation a December 23 resolution adopted by the council with 14 votes in favour and a US abstention. Then President-elect Donald Trump and Israel had urged Washington to wield its veto.

'The resolution calls on Israel to take steps 'to cease all settlements activities in the occupied Palestinian territory including east Jerusalem'. No such steps have been taken during the reporting period,' Mladenov told the council.

Israel for decades has pursued a policy of constructing Jewish settlements on territory captured by Israel in a 1967 war with its Arab neighbours. Most countries view Israeli settlement activity as illegal and an obstacle to peace. Israel disagrees.

The Palestinians want an independent state in the West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem.

'Many of the advancements that were made in the past three months will further sever the territorial contiguity of a future Palestinian state and accelerate the fragmentation of the West Bank,' said Mladenov of settlements, adding that they were 'one of the main obstacles to peace'.

Mladenov also said an increase in rockets fired from Gaza toward Israel was a 'worrying development' and described it as regrettable that Palestinian Authority officials had not condemned attacks against Israelis.

'The continued incitement to violence against Jews emanating from Hamas extremists and some Palestinian groups is unacceptable and undermines trust and the prospects for peace,' he said.

'Reactions by Hamas officials to terror attacks against Israelis have been particularly reprehensible and deserve condemnation.'

The United States traditionally shields Israel, Washington's long-time ally that receives more than $3 billion in annual US military aid, from council action. The five council veto powers are the United States, Russia, France, Britain and China.

The resolution, put forward by New Zealand, Malaysia, Venezuela and Senegal a day after Egypt withdrew it under pressure from Israel and Trump, was the first adopted by the council on Israel and the Palestinians in nearly eight years.

Retired US Army Lieutenant Michael Flynn, who at the time had been chosen by Trump to be his national security adviser, called the UN missions of Malaysia and Uruguay before the vote in a bid to stop council action, UN diplomats said.

Israel's UN Ambassador Danny Danon said in a statement on Friday: 'There can be no moral equivalency between the building of homes and murderous terrorism. The only impediment to peace is Palestinian violence and incitement.'

Palestinian UN envoy Riyad Mansour told reporters: 'Settlements need to be stopped, not only because they are illegal, but they are the main obstacle in the path of the two-state solution.'

News
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship

Authorities in Sudan are obstructing efforts by a church to rebuild and even to use their place of worship

Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist
Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist

Dr Emil Saleem Shehadeh has some sage advice for how Christians can engage with their Muslim neighbours and colleagues during Ramadan.

David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban
David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban

Having already been banned, the latest sanction merely reinforces an earlier decision.

Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by
Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by

The constellation of powers that produced the eradication of the Armenian Christian presence in Nagorno Karabakh now have their sights on the Republic of Armenia itself.