China executes three separatists for railway station mass stabbing attack

China executed three accused separatists on Tuesday for their role in an attack that killed 31 people at a train station in the southwest last year, a court said.

The government has said the attack, in the southwestern city of Kunming, was carried out by knife-wielding separatists from the far western region of Xinjiang, which is strategically located on the borders of Central Asia.

The three men who were executed, Iskandar Ehet, Turgun Tohtunyaz and Hasayn Muhammad, were sentenced to death in September after being convicted of homicide and leading a terrorist organisation, the Kunming Intermediate People's Court said. A higher court later upheld the sentence, the official Xinhua news agency reported.

Police shot four other assailants dead during the knife attack, which injured 141 people on March 1, 2014.

Xinjiang, home to the Muslim Uighur minority group, has been plagued by unrest in recent years. Some Uighurs have chafed under Chinese restrictions on their culture and religion.

Rights groups have expressed concern about executions and mass sentencings carried out regularly since an upswing in violence blamed on Xinjiang militants took place last year.

Another female attacker, Patigul Tohti, who was pregnant when she was arrested, received a life sentence, Xinhua said.

Newsletter Stay up to date with Christian Today
related articles
China Cracks Suspected Baby Trafficking Gang

China Cracks Suspected Baby Trafficking Gang

Chinese take to streets to oppose Tibet independence

Chinese take to streets to oppose Tibet independence

Three die as blasts hit three Chinese buses

Three die as blasts hit three Chinese buses

China denies text message preceded bomb blasts

China denies text message preceded bomb blasts

News
‘We’ve had nothing like this’ - over 30,000 attend historic Franklin Graham evangelical gathering in Belarus
‘We’ve had nothing like this’ - over 30,000 attend historic Franklin Graham evangelical gathering in Belarus

The two-day “Festival of Hope”, organised by Franklin Graham and the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association (BGEA), drew almost 31,000 people to Chizhovka Arena in the Belarusian capital.

Despite minor improvements, Saudi Arabia remains a tough place for Christians
Despite minor improvements, Saudi Arabia remains a tough place for Christians

Officially, conversion from Islam carries the death penalty.

Calls to free Nicaraguan Protestant pastor unjustly imprisoned for four years
Calls to free Nicaraguan Protestant pastor unjustly imprisoned for four years

A Christian rights organisation has intensified calls for the release of imprisoned Nicaraguan pastor Efrén Antonio Vílchez López

Church of Scotland urged to adapt funding model
Church of Scotland urged to adapt funding model

The Church of Scotland had an unexpectedly good financial year but more change is needed for long-term financial sustainability.