Baghdad car bomb kills 20 in Shi'ite district, wounds 48

Islamic State militants claimed responsibility on Thursday for a suicide car bombing in a mainly Shi'ite Muslim district of Baghdad that killed at least 20 people the day before.

In a statement posted online, the Sunni militant group said it had targeted a security checkpoint in the al-Shurta al-Rabaa neighbourhood.

The car bomb exploded in a crowded marketplace in a mainly Shi'ite Muslim district of the Iraqi capital on Wednesday.

A further 48 people were wounded by the blast.

A massive blast that killed more than 100 people less than a week ago in the town of Khan Bani Saad was claimed by Islamic State.

Iraqi security forces and Shi'ite paramilitary groups are currently focused on the western province of Anbar, where they have been gearing up for an offensive to retake the mainly Sunni Muslim governorate – Iraq's largest.

The United Nations said earlier this month that nearly 15,000 people had been killed in the 16-month period up to April 30.

related articles
Iraqi Christians plead for greater protection following Baghdad killings

Iraqi Christians plead for greater protection following Baghdad killings

Iraqi civilians in the line of fire as government prepares to retake Falluja
Iraqi civilians in the line of fire as government prepares to retake Falluja

Iraqi civilians in the line of fire as government prepares to retake Falluja

ISIS claims suicide bomb that killed more than 100 in Iraq
ISIS claims suicide bomb that killed more than 100 in Iraq

ISIS claims suicide bomb that killed more than 100 in Iraq

War vs. ISIS to last 20 years, says top US general; UK study sees jihadists losing land
War vs. ISIS to last 20 years, says top US general; UK study sees jihadists losing land

War vs. ISIS to last 20 years, says top US general; UK study sees jihadists losing land

News
Traitors’ winner Harry Clark heads to Rome in new BBC documentary exploring faith in modern Britain
Traitors’ winner Harry Clark heads to Rome in new BBC documentary exploring faith in modern Britain

BBC Two and iPlayer are set to air a new one-hour documentary this Easter charting The Traitors’ winner Harry Clark’s personal pilgrimage from Slough to the Vatican

Christians welcome NI decision to pull out of puberty blocker trial
Christians welcome NI decision to pull out of puberty blocker trial

Nesbitt initially indicated that the province would join the trial.

EU Parliament condemns expulsion of foreign Christians in Turkey
EU Parliament condemns expulsion of foreign Christians in Turkey

Turkey has said the EU is interfering in its internal affairs.

Fewer Britons giving something up for Lent as cathedrals invite deeper reflection
Fewer Britons giving something up for Lent as cathedrals invite deeper reflection

The number of Britons giving something up for Lent has fallen sharply over the past decade, according to new research highlighting a significant shift in how the season is observed.