Zip-tied 4-year-old was tied to gate by cruel parents (video); left with bruises on wrists and arms
A North Carolina couple has been accused of using zip ties to tie their 4-year-old daughter's wrists and hands to a baby gate. Gerald Thomas Swinehart and Marlaine Victoria Coffey have been taken into police custody and remain prison as they face charges of intentional child abuse. The child has been taken away from their custody.
Swinehart, 26, is also accused of breaking her child's lower teeth after hitting her in the face earlier this year. She required medical attention but was not removed from her parent's home until March 31. Arrest warrants for the parents claimed that the girl suffered bruises to her wrists and ankles from the zip ties.
Coffey, 28, has been set at $50,000 bond. Swinehart's is set at $100,000. Both may face a long prison sentence for the alleged abuse if found guilty. Swinehart is charged with two counts of intentional abuse inflicting serious physical injury, and Coffey is charged with one count. It is not known whether the pair has attorneys to represent them.
ISIS genocide crimes must be investigated by the International Criminal Court, three European politicians urged in a letter this week.
ISIS fighters have abducted "tens of thousands" of men, women and children from areas around Mosul to use as human shields, the UN human rights office said on Friday.
- Why It's Ok To Be A 'Spineless Christian'
- The Glorious Truth Of All Saints Day, And Why It's Better Than Halloween
- Light Out Of Darkness: A Review Of Leonard Cohen's 'You Want It Darker'
- Are Churches Really As Unwelcoming As Surveys Say?
- Why Pope Francis May Get The Cold Shoulder In Sweden
- God & The Presidency: The Faith of Dwight D Eisenhower
- Why I Left Church And Why I'm Going Back Again
- Out Of The Darkness: How God Transformed A Violent Criminal
- Doctor Strange: The Most Theological Marvel Movie So Far
- Exclusive: Mystery Over Whether Gay Vicar 'Outed' The Bishop Of Grantham
- Cuba's Crackdown Continues: Pastor Under House Arrest For Loud Worship Services
- Why Do Politicians Ignore What The Public Really Thinks About Abortion?
- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte Says God Spoke to Him on Plane, Told Him to Stop Cussing
- Child Migrants: France And Britain Trade Accusations About Treatment
- Religious Freedom 'Is A Litmus Test Of Overall Freedom' Says EU Special Envoy