Zip-tied 4-year-old was tied to gate by cruel parents (video); left with bruises on wrists and arms
A North Carolina couple has been accused of using zip ties to tie their 4-year-old daughter's wrists and hands to a baby gate. Gerald Thomas Swinehart and Marlaine Victoria Coffey have been taken into police custody and remain prison as they face charges of intentional child abuse. The child has been taken away from their custody.
Swinehart, 26, is also accused of breaking her child's lower teeth after hitting her in the face earlier this year. She required medical attention but was not removed from her parent's home until March 31. Arrest warrants for the parents claimed that the girl suffered bruises to her wrists and ankles from the zip ties.
Coffey, 28, has been set at $50,000 bond. Swinehart's is set at $100,000. Both may face a long prison sentence for the alleged abuse if found guilty. Swinehart is charged with two counts of intentional abuse inflicting serious physical injury, and Coffey is charged with one count. It is not known whether the pair has attorneys to represent them.
Nicolas Sarkozy said on Thursday he would impose a nationwide ban on burkinis if elected back to the presidency in 2017.
A charity that campaigns for equal rights in Egypt has filed a formal complaint of discrimination against Coptic Christians in the selection of Egypt's Olympic team.
- The Bible study method that helps small groups really work
- Should Christian charities take atheists' money?
- Top 5 daily prayer apps to help your devotional life
- 'We are living in darkness': The heartbreaking suffering of refugees stranded in Greece
- Finding God in the midst of suffering
- Rahab the prostitute: Was she a traitor or a heroine?
- Why going to church could be the best way of evangelising
- Tom Daley and Christian Voice: What the Twitter row really has to teach us
- Why being part of a church is not optional for Christians
- Businesses should not be able to refuse gay people services, say most US religious groups
- Anti-Christian crackdown in Cuba: Over 1,000 churches seized, Christians dragged away from homes, churches
- Euthanasia 'tourists,' including children, flock to Catholic-majority Belgium where assisted suicide is free and easy
- China: Farmer mowed down and killed after protesting land seizure
- France's top court to rule on legality of burkini ban
- Yazidi girl captured by ISIS set herself on fire to avoid sex slavery