Sudan's War On Christians: School With 1,000 Pupils Closed After Raid

An evangelical Christian school in Sudan with more than 1,000 pupils has been closed after it was raided by authorities.

According to sources cited by Sight magazine, armed police aided by civilians bused in from the surrounding area were involved in the raid on the Evangelical Basic School in Madani, Al Jazirah state last week.

Sight said it was the third raid on the school in two months and follows the jailing of Christian staff members who tried to prevent the seizure of the institution.

The school belongs to the Sudan Presbyterian Evangelical Church and was established in 1901. It was first raided on September 5 by police who presented documents ordering its handover to the government's National Ministry of Guidance and Endowments.

"They just want to form a government body to run the school," an area Christian told Morning Star News. "Muslims were on board the bus that came from Khartoum."

The school's administrators and teachers are ethnic Nuba, a group targeted by Sudan's controlling Arabist faction, and the move appears to be an attempt to exert further pressure on Nuba Christians.

It was unclear whether the school would re-open today.

Among those arrested on October 6 were the school's headmaster, Rev Samuel Suleiman, and Rev Ismail Zakaria, pastor of the church to which it belongs. Seven other teachers were also detained before being released on bail, accused of resisting the authorities. were seven other teachers who objected to the takeover of the school.

Suleiman was also arrested during the September raid with 12 other teachers and accused of supporting the Sudan People's Liberation Army North, a rebel group fighting government forces. He has denied the charge.

News
Traitors’ winner Harry Clark heads to Rome in new BBC documentary exploring faith in modern Britain
Traitors’ winner Harry Clark heads to Rome in new BBC documentary exploring faith in modern Britain

BBC Two and iPlayer are set to air a new one-hour documentary this Easter charting The Traitors’ winner Harry Clark’s personal pilgrimage from Slough to the Vatican

Christians welcome NI decision to pull out of puberty blocker trial
Christians welcome NI decision to pull out of puberty blocker trial

Nesbitt initially indicated that the province would join the trial.

EU Parliament condemns expulsion of foreign Christians in Turkey
EU Parliament condemns expulsion of foreign Christians in Turkey

Turkey has said the EU is interfering in its internal affairs.

Fewer Britons giving something up for Lent as cathedrals invite deeper reflection
Fewer Britons giving something up for Lent as cathedrals invite deeper reflection

The number of Britons giving something up for Lent has fallen sharply over the past decade, according to new research highlighting a significant shift in how the season is observed.