'Smash' canceled by NBC along with 'Happy Endings'; New shows include 'Ironside' and 'About a Boy' [LIST]
NBC's musical sitcom "Smash" has been canceled after just two seasons. The show, which starred Katharine McPhee, Debra Messing and Anjelica Huston, had suffered low ratings since the debut of its second season. The show only brought in 4.5 million viewers and a 1.1 rating among the 18-49 demographic.
McPhee thanked her fans on Twitter for watching the show. "Thk u to everyone who watched Smash! Been an amazing ride. & thanks to @nbc 4 the opportunity 2 play a great gal such as Karen. So grateful." She continued: "Ahhhh! Love you all! Ur passion is so heartwarming! Life is about chapters & the relationships u make along the way. Next chapter! Exciting."
The cancellation of "Smash" upset viewers, with one viewer commenting on Huffington Post: "I can't believe smash has been canceled! I'm hooked!"
Along with "Smash", NBC also cancelled "Happy Endings", "Deception", "Animal Practice", "Do no Harm", "Guys with Kids", "Up All Night", "Whitney", "1600 Penn", and "Go On".
While NBC has decided to drop "Smash", the peacock network has also picked up some new shows, including "Ironside", the remake of the 1960s series of the same name starring Blair Underwood. It also picked up "Undateable", "Chicago Fire" spinoff, "Chicago PD"; "The Blacklist", medical drama "The Night Shift", and comedy "Welcome to the Family".
The network also picked up a TV adaptation of "About a Boy" from the movie and book of the same name; Sean Hayes' "Sean Saves The World"; J.J. Abrams' "Believe"; and "Family Guide.
Click here for a full list of all canceled shows by NBC, ABC, CBS and FOX.
Today sees the release of Identity, the latest album from Christian artist and 'American Idol' alumt Colton Dixon. It's a heartfelt, ambitious and anthemic effort, worthy of your attention.
'God is tempting me'; 'It's God's fault'; 'The devil made me do it.' We use many creative excuses to rationalise our sin!
- 6 Scripture verses about the heart – and why they don't mean what you think
- Study shows 'religious' countries are worse at science. What does this really tell us?
- 5 truths to cling to in the midst of uncertainty
- 'Identity' by Colton Dixon: An ambitious, vibrant and hopeful anthem
- Don't blame Islam, don't blame religion: It's people that make the world violent
- Persevering when times are tough: 6 scriptures to help you keep going
- Is it ever God's fault when we sin?
- Music in church can be a battlefield. So what's the point of it?
- In His Grip: A guide to Christian email sign-offs
- Pastor reveals horror of child sacrifices in Uganda, claims murder of innocents is big business
- Christianity is 'over' in Iraq, but 'God is not dead despite terrible persecution,' says 'Vicar of Baghdad'
- Archbishop of Canterbury: 'Christ's love and self-sacrifice will triumph over evil and despair'
- In Afghanistan, more than 1 in 10 babies die at birth. Here's why – and how it can change
- #PrayForLondon is the latest #PrayFor hashtag to trend. Sadly, there have been many others
- Fortune's 50 greatest leaders: Who is the one religious figure?