Rat Meat Sold as Lamb Stirs Food Safety Concerns in China
Lamb meat has been disguised and sold as lamb in China, according to the latest food scandal in the country.
Police have cracked down on a criminal ring that illegally operated in Shanghai that bought meat from fox, mink, and rats and processed it with gelatin and other additives before selling it off as lamb to third party vendors.
It is not known how the illegal traders got hold of the rats and other creatures being disguised as mutton. 904 suspects were arrested in over 380 cases in the three-month crackdown.
The meat was sold to farmers' markets in Shanghai and Jiangsu province. Rat meat being passed off as mutton is the latest food scandal to hit China as the country prepares to make harsher punishment for those selling unsafe food products. In the past, tainted formula milk and other unsafe products have hit the headlines.
China's penal code forbids unsafe and poisonous food and now the sale of food with excessive chemicals or meat from animals that have died of unknown causes or diseased will be considered a crime.
The Supreme People's Court of China has prosecuted 2,088 people in food safety cases between 2010-2012. However, the sale of poisonous food has rise in recent years, with the figure down to just 80 in 2010 but to a staggering 861 in 2012.
"Chinese food production has become larger scale and more technological, but the problems emerging also involve using more sophisticated technology to beat regulators and cheat consumers," said Mao Shoulong, a professor of public policy at Renmin University in Beijing . "The government's efforts need to catch up with the scale and complexity of the problems."
The miraculous healing of one woman in Hanoi led to a remarkable Christian awakening in predominantly Buddhist Vietnam led by a farmer named Dao Sanh.
Donald Trump, 45th U.S. President, Is 'Secular Cyrus' Prophesied In Isaiah 45, Says Christian Leader
The "coincidence" appears hard to ignore: Donald Trump being sworn in as the 45th President of the United States on Friday and the biblical passage Isaiah 45 telling about the arrival of the great leader Cyrus.
- Monster Or Messiah: How Should The Church Respond To Donald Trump?
- Pope Francis: Christians Face Daily Battle With Satan
- 'Can I get a witness?' Whatever happened to sharing our testimonies?
- It's Been 500 Years Since The Reformation. Now Is The Time To Admit We Need Each Other
- What Does The Bible Have To Say About A Trump Presidency?
- Truth And Justice Meet: Why We Should Celebrate The Freedom Of Chelsea Manning
- Unsatisfied At Work? Here's How To Find Fulfilment
- Auschwitz Memorial Museum Director Appeals For Death Camp Staff Documents
- Real Christian Men Do This
- Philippines' Rodrigo Duterte Strikes Back At Critical Priests, Asks Them, 'What Is Your Moral Ascendancy?'
- Women's March: Hundreds Of Thousands Of Feminist Protesters Gather In Washington Against Trump Agenda
- Blast In Pakistan Vegetable Market Kills At Least 21
- Violent Clashes Between Protesters And Police In Washington Over Trump Inauguration
- Muslim Man Defies ISIS By Making Iron Cross for Christians in Bombed-Out Church
- The Gambia Explainer: What Will Happen Next?
- Chinese Church Leader To Stand Trial As Clampdown On Christianity Tightens
- Chinese Megachurch Pastor Arrested As Crackdown On Christians Continues
- 'God Moving in a Powerful Way' in China As Even Government-Controlled Churches See Unprecedented Growth
- The 12 Worst Countries For Christian Persecution Around The World
- Pressure On Chinese Catholics To Come Under Beijing Control
- Prominent Christian Human Rights Lawyer Vanishes Into Custody In China
- Christians Arrested, Accused of Belonging to 'Evil Cults' in China