Olympic gold medallist dead: Andrew 'Bart' Simpson dies after boat capsized
A British gold medalist at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games has died after the boat he was training in capsized in San Francisco Bay.
Andrew 'Bart' Simpson was training for the America's Cup in a 72-foot catamaran, Artemis, when it capsized, trapping him under the water on Thursday afternoon.
The 36-year-old was rescued from the water after 10 minutes but was later pronounced dead at the nearby St Francis Yacht Club.
Simpson won gold in China in 2008 and silver in London 2012 sailing alongside Iain Percy in the Star keelboat.
The tragedy comes just six months after Larry Ellison's 72-foot America's Cup boat capsized in the San Francisco Bay.
Sponsored Watch Your Favorite Christian Films, 24/7. Click Here To Start Your Free Trial Today
The Artemis Racing team has expressed its shock and sorrow over Simpson's death.
Paul Cayard, Artemis chief executive, said: "We obviously had a tragic day today on the bay and our thoughts and prayers are with Bart Simpson's - Andrew Simpson's - family, his wife and kids, and also with the rest of the team-mates.
"It is a shocking experience to go through and we have a lot to deal with in the next few days in terms of assuring everybody's well-being.
"The boat itself is under control, but it is certainly not the first of our concerns. We are focused on the people."That is what we are working with and on and we will give you more information when we are able to."
Here are some verses from the Bible that will help you face whatever struggle you are going through.
Do you know if you're on the right track towards Christ-likeness and godliness?
- 6 Worships Songs You Might Not Know, But Should
- After Trump, What Now For Christians In America? Obama Faith Advisor Speaks Out
- From Bethlehem To Bedford: What If Mary And Joseph Were 21st Century Refugees?
- 10 Brilliant Ways To Countdown To Christmas With Your Kids
- Archbishop Of York: Government Must Not 'Scapegoat' Migrants For Failures In Housing And Jobs
- Buzzfeed, Fixer Upper, And Gay Marriage: 3 Questions To Ask
- Why We Need To Stop Calling Our Opponents 'Evil'
- Scorsese Meets With Pope Before Vatican Screening Of Oscar-Tipped Christian Persecution Movie
- Netflix's 'Stranger Things' Inspires Christian Charity Christmas Video
- Pakistan Province Bans Forced Conversions of Christians to Islam; Move Hailed as 'Great Step' to Protect Minorities
- Fear Grips Christian Converts in Europe Refugee Camps Amid Death Threats From Muslim Extremists
- Newly Baptised Girl and Her Younger Brother Survive Knife Attack By Their Own Mom; God Saved Them, Says Pastor
- Having Problems Conceiving a Child? Hope Springs Eternal With Medical Treatment — or Prayers and Belief in 'Miraculous Cures'
- Archbishop Of Nigeria To Settle Row Between Bishop And His Church After They Locked Him Out
- The Calais Refugee 'Problem' Has Merely Been Displaced, Not Solved