Olympic gold medallist dead: Andrew 'Bart' Simpson dies after boat capsized
A British gold medalist at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games has died after the boat he was training in capsized in San Francisco Bay.
Andrew 'Bart' Simpson was training for the America's Cup in a 72-foot catamaran, Artemis, when it capsized, trapping him under the water on Thursday afternoon.
The 36-year-old was rescued from the water after 10 minutes but was later pronounced dead at the nearby St Francis Yacht Club.
Simpson won gold in China in 2008 and silver in London 2012 sailing alongside Iain Percy in the Star keelboat.
The tragedy comes just six months after Larry Ellison's 72-foot America's Cup boat capsized in the San Francisco Bay.
The Artemis Racing team has expressed its shock and sorrow over Simpson's death.
Paul Cayard, Artemis chief executive, said: "We obviously had a tragic day today on the bay and our thoughts and prayers are with Bart Simpson's - Andrew Simpson's - family, his wife and kids, and also with the rest of the team-mates.
"It is a shocking experience to go through and we have a lot to deal with in the next few days in terms of assuring everybody's well-being.
"The boat itself is under control, but it is certainly not the first of our concerns. We are focused on the people."That is what we are working with and on and we will give you more information when we are able to."
VMA 2016: Beyoncé pays tribute to God during performance with flashing sign saying 'God is God, I am not'
Pop queen Beyoncé made a splash at the MTV Video Music Awards (VMA) on Sunday as she not only captivated the audience with a medley from her album "Lemonade" but also paid tribute and made references to God.
Mel Gibson says 'Passion of Christ' sequel will be about the Resurrection and it would be a 'huge undertaking'
Speaking to Greg Laurie, the senior pastor of the California-based Harvest Christian Fellowship, movie director Mel Gibson confirmed that he and other people behind the 2004 epic drama "The Passion of the Christ," are "talking about" the possibility of a sequel.
- 'The gift of failure': Mark Yaconelli on disappointment, grief, hope and redemption
- Pray for believers from one of the world's most secret religions
- Why it's too soon to write off the Church in Europe
- What do you do when you just don't like someone?
- Is the Bible trustworthy or has it been changed?
- The dress code for a disciple of Christ
- UK and France pledge to 'step up' cooperation over Calais refugee crisis
- UN slams France's burkini ban in damning intervention
- ISIS using fake passports to send fanatics to Europe in preparation for attack, top intel official warns
- Pakistani Christian girl abducted, forced to convert to Islam and marry faces death threats
- Christianity at risk of dying out in Syria, Lebanon and Iraq, Orthodox Church leader warns
- Fears of trafficking as police reveal 9000 child refugees are missing in Germany alone