Olympic gold medallist dead: Andrew 'Bart' Simpson dies after boat capsized
A British gold medalist at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games has died after the boat he was training in capsized in San Francisco Bay.
Andrew 'Bart' Simpson was training for the America's Cup in a 72-foot catamaran, Artemis, when it capsized, trapping him under the water on Thursday afternoon.
The 36-year-old was rescued from the water after 10 minutes but was later pronounced dead at the nearby St Francis Yacht Club.
Simpson won gold in China in 2008 and silver in London 2012 sailing alongside Iain Percy in the Star keelboat.
The tragedy comes just six months after Larry Ellison's 72-foot America's Cup boat capsized in the San Francisco Bay.
The Artemis Racing team has expressed its shock and sorrow over Simpson's death.
Paul Cayard, Artemis chief executive, said: "We obviously had a tragic day today on the bay and our thoughts and prayers are with Bart Simpson's - Andrew Simpson's - family, his wife and kids, and also with the rest of the team-mates.
"It is a shocking experience to go through and we have a lot to deal with in the next few days in terms of assuring everybody's well-being.
"The boat itself is under control, but it is certainly not the first of our concerns. We are focused on the people."That is what we are working with and on and we will give you more information when we are able to."
Should Christians practise yoga? For some it's a non-question, for others yoga is a compromise to Christian witness or a gateway to demonic powers. How can we navigate the conversation?
Most members of the American public like churches but Republicans are far more positive than Democrats, new research shows.
- Should Christians Practise Yoga?
- How Can We Stop People Losing Their Faith?
- Why John Piper's View Of Christian Hierarchy Is Fundamentally Secular
- 10 Challenging Quotes From St Francis Of Assisi That Will Change The Way You View Faith
- Why Friendship Is A Better Investment Than Romance
- Can Christians Believe In Astrology?
- The Lie Single Christians Believe And How It's Harming Mission
- Corbyn: Labour Can Learn Lessons From Faith Groups' Unity
- Why The Church Has Got To Start Caring About Persecuted Christians
- Thousands Of Muslim Buildings And Mosques Set For Demolition In Myanmar
- Christian Family Of Slain Jordanian Writer Demand Prime Minister Quits
- '20 Churches Destroyed' As Airstrikes Continue To Pound Aleppo
- Slain Mexican Priests Victims Of 'Malicious' Smear Campaign, Church Says
- Poland moves a step closer to banning all abortions
- Christians join other faith leaders in Israel for a 'dangerous' show of interfaith unity