'X-Men: Apocalypse' movie update: Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen to be absent from cast

Professor X and Magneto in "X-Men: Days of Future Past" (2014) [Photo credit: X-Men Movies]

"X-Men: Apocalypse," which is expected to hit theatres on May 27, 2016, might have already angered fans as the plot of the film will not have room for two iconic actors who have been present in every "X-Men" film so far. Patrick Stewart (Charles Xavier) and Ian McKellen (Eric Lehnsherr) will not be present in the next "X-Men" movie. 

When Stewart was speaking to Larry King, the British actor was asked if we would be starring in Bryan Singer's "Days of Future Past" sequel. The actor responded in the negative, saying, "No. Nor Sir Ian McKellen, either."

Since the film's events are to take place when both Charles and Eric were in their youth, James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender will be reprising their roles as Professor X and Magneto, respectively, as they assemble a new group of mutants to face a foe more dangerous than what they have ever encountered so far — the eponymous mutant, Apocalypse.

In addition to Stewart's response, producers have already started vetting actors that will take up the role of the younger characters. For now, all the information available is that Sophie Turner, who plays Sansa Stark in the fantasy drama series "Game of Thrones," is reportedly being considered for the role of young Jean Grey. Side by side, Saoirse Ronan, who appeared in "Hanna" and "The Grand Budapest Hotel," is also said to be vying to play the same character. 

While this has not been confirmed, Channing Tatum might be making a cameo in "X-Men: Apocalypse" as Gambit alongside Ryan Reynolds, who is expected to play mutant Wade Wilson a.k.a. Deadpool. 

Since there is still a lot of time before the film's scheduled release, amendments will most likely be made to the script, meaning that Singer might still find room to fit the British duo for an appearance after all.

News
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship

Authorities in Sudan are obstructing efforts by a church to rebuild and even to use their place of worship

Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist
Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist

Dr Emil Saleem Shehadeh has some sage advice for how Christians can engage with their Muslim neighbours and colleagues during Ramadan.

David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban
David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban

Having already been banned, the latest sanction merely reinforces an earlier decision.

Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by
Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by

The constellation of powers that produced the eradication of the Armenian Christian presence in Nagorno Karabakh now have their sights on the Republic of Armenia itself.