Vatican, Italy increase security over Islamic State threats

Both Italy and the Vatican have increased their security preparedness after reports that Islamic State elements could be in the south of the country.

According to UCAN India, the Italian government has increased the country's state of alert, increasing the number of Italian anti-terror soldiers in "safe streets" duties from 3,000 to 4,800. The government had voted to approve the increased state of alert last week, and implemented the plan on Tuesday. Journalists and prominent Jews were assigned security details, while ministers are now allowed to use official aircraft for personal trips.

The Swiss Guard at the Vatican also followed suit on Wednesday, increasing its alert levels to be more watchful of possible threats to the Pope.

"We have asked all the Swiss guards to be more attentive and to carefully monitor the movement of people," UCAN India quoted Swiss Guard commander Christoph Graf saying on Wednesday.

"What happened in Paris with the Charlie Hebdo attacks could also happen at the Vatican," Commander Graf opined. He stressed that intelligence services are crucial to identifying any potential threat, but he is also confident of the Swiss Guard's ability to protect the Pope.

"We are ready to intervene to ensure Francis is protected," Graf concluded.

The Islamic State had said at the end of its latest video showing the beheading of 21 Egyptian Copts that Islamic State fighters were already "at the south of Rome." The ISIS militants also threatened to use Libya as a platform for launching attacks in Italy.

The foreign ministry in Rome, the Expo 2015 world fair in Milan, the Vatican and various churches and synagogues across the country have been identified as possible targets by the Italian media.

An Italian senator says that attacks on Italy by extremists or their supporters is very likely.

"The risk of an attack by a lone wolf or an unbalanced person is concrete," Italian Senator Felice Casson said in the UCAN India article. 

"The more successful attacks in other countries are, the greater the risk of someone trying to emulate them in Italy," he warned.

Newsletter Stay up to date with Christian Today
News
Thousands attend 'March for Jesus' in Belfast
Thousands attend 'March for Jesus' in Belfast

"The atmosphere was full of joy, faith and the presence of God," said organisers.

'Quiet revival' claims 'laid to rest' once and for all as study shows UK churchgoing continues to fall
'Quiet revival' claims 'laid to rest' once and for all as study shows UK churchgoing continues to fall

New figures from the British Social Attitudes survey also show there are no signs of a religious revival among young people. 

Proposed conversion therapy ban comes up against human rights law
Proposed conversion therapy ban comes up against human rights law

Labour wants to ban so-called 'conversion therapy' but critics point out that abusive practices are already illegal.