'Star Wars: Battlefront 2' news: DICE confirms game's release without season pass

Promo image for "Star Wars: Battlefront 2" Electronic Arts website

After announcing the release date of "Star Wars: Battlefront 2," DICE confirmed that the upcoming shooter game will not come out with a season pass.

In an interview with Mashable, the upcoming game's creative director Bernd Diemer revealed that the game will not feature a season pass that will contain several map packs. However, he mentioned that instead of the usual season pass, the game will have something different.

"We decided on that, and it's one of those difficult decisions because it has so many implications all around," the creative director said, adding, "When we looked at the way Battlefront had evolved over its lifetime, with the DLC and everything, we decided, 'You know what? For this type of game, season passes are not the best thing. We need to [take it apart] and come up with something better."

The creative director also shared that he still cannot reveal more specific details about their plans, but stated that they have something in mind that will let players enjoy the game longer without resorting to a split community.

Meanwhile, game director Mark Thompson revealed in an interview with Glixel that both Walt Williams and Mitch Dyer, the writers of the upcoming "Star Wars: Battlefront 2," happened to be major fans of the "Star Wars" franchise. This reportedly helped them come up with the right story for the game.

According to Thompson, both writers "are voracious fans of Star Wars and had already read most of these things I had to play a lot of catch up to [approach] their encyclopedic knowledge of everything that existed."

The story of "Star Wars: Battlefront 2" will reportedly feature the perspective of an Empire soldier during the events that happened after the "Return of the Jedi."

DICE and EA are expected to release the "Star Wars: Battlefront 2" on PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 on Nov. 17.

News
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings

The newly installed Archbishop of Westminster has said the Church must learn from victims of sexual abuse.

Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report
Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report

The institution of marriage has undergone a dramatic transformation over the past five decades - particularly among young adults.

Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent
Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent

One of England’s most well-known, historic and picturesque cathedrals has announced plans to run a Lent series looking at truth in the modern world.