'Star Trek 3' movie cast rumors: Bryan Cranston as a villain

Bryan Cranston at the Peabody Awards 2014 [Wikimedia Commons]

The star of the American crime drama television series "Breaking Bad" is rumored to be cast as a villain in the 2016 science fiction film, "Star Trek 3." Initially, Cranston was said to be playing the intellectually gifted yet sadistic villain Lex Luthor in the 2016 superhero blockbuster "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" but that position has already been occupied by Jesse Eisenberg. 

Paramount Studios announced that the sequel to the "Star Trek" film will be titled "Star Trek 3," and it is planned for a 2016 release. According to the timeline, it will be the franchise's 50th anniversary. It is expected that the core plot of the film will revolve around deep space and how the Enterprise Spacecraft and its crew will face an unrevealed crisis. 

According to Variety, the upcoming film will be similar to the original plots of the "Star Trek" series. Director J.J Abrams won't spearheading the project as he is already committed to directing "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," which will be hitting theatres on Dec. 18. 

However, Abrams has stated that he will be a producer for the upcoming "Star Trek" film even if he won't be occupying the director's chair. Nonetheless, on Dec. 22 last year, it was confirmed that Justin Lin would be directing the sequel of "Star Trek Into Darkness." The director was also in charge of steering "Fast and the Furious 6" in the right direction. 

Even though rumors regarding Bryan Cranston are yet to be confirmed by the studio or by the actor himself, there is still a huge amount of time remaining until the film's release, which only means that more solid details are likely to sprout up in the foreseeable future. 

News
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship

Authorities in Sudan are obstructing efforts by a church to rebuild and even to use their place of worship

Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist
Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist

Dr Emil Saleem Shehadeh has some sage advice for how Christians can engage with their Muslim neighbours and colleagues during Ramadan.

David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban
David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban

Having already been banned, the latest sanction merely reinforces an earlier decision.

Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by
Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by

The constellation of powers that produced the eradication of the Armenian Christian presence in Nagorno Karabakh now have their sights on the Republic of Armenia itself.