Hackers break into Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 investigators' computers

Flight 370 flight path and search area Wikimedia

About 30 computers containing confidential information on missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 were hacked into, a Malaysian cyber security agency revealed Wednesday.

The hack occurred on March 9, the day after Flight 370 went missing. It is unclear when officials discovered the breach.

Flight 370 vanished while flying between Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and Beijing, China. The following day, an email was sent to high-ranking officials investigating the plane's disappearance, claiming that the plane had been found.

Attached to the hacker's email was malware disguised as a PDF file. When the recipients opened the attachment, the cyber thieves were able to access emails, documents, and other information from the targets' computers. A Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation agency, CyberSecurity Malaysia, confirmed that classified information from the Department of Civil Aviation, the National Security Council, Malaysia Airlines, and other agencies was stolen.

"We received reports from the administrators of the agencies telling us that their network was congested with e-mail going out of their servers," CyberSecurity Malaysia Chief Executive Dr Amirudin Abdul Wahab told The Star.

"Those e-mail contained confidential data from the officials' computers, including the minutes of meetings and classified documents. Some of these were related to the MH370 investigation."

The data was being sent to an IP address in China.

"This was well-crafted malware that antivirus programs couldn't detect," Amirudin added. "It was a very sophisticated attack."

The CyberSecurity officials asked the internet service provider to block the IP address, and the agency, Malaysian police, and Interpol are investigating the incident.

Dr Amirudin said the motivation for the cyber attack may have been the perception that officials were withholding information about the missing plane.

"At that time, there were some people accusing the Government of not releasing crucial information," he said. "But everything on the investigation had been disclosed."

No evidence of debris from Flight 370 or a crash site have been discovered. There were 239 people aboard the plane.

News
Between two cultures: an Afghan Christian in the Netherlands
Between two cultures: an Afghan Christian in the Netherlands

Esther*, who was born in Afghanistan and raised in the Netherlands after her family fled the country when she was three, speaks to Christian Today about her journey of faith, life between two cultures, and her hopes and fears for Afghanistan’s future.

The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens

Seventy years ago, in February 1956, the BBC aired the mini-series “Jesus of Nazareth”, which was the first filming of the life of Jesus to be created for television. This is the story …

Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes
Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes

Christians are being asked to urge peers to support amendments tabled by Baronesses Monckton and Stroud.

Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror
Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror

The faithful are returning “in their thousands, not hundreds” despite more than a decade of brutal violence.