Christmas celebration banned in Italian school, prompting PM to slam headmaster

Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi says banning Christmas is ‘a very big mistake.’ (Facebook/Matteo Renzi)

Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi is not happy with the decision made by the headmaster of Garofani comprehensive school in the small town of Rozzano near Milan to ban Christmas concerts and carols this year in the name of multiculturalism.

According to The Guardian, headmaster Marco Parma, 63, made the decision to ban the celebration of Christmas despite strong protests from parents and media just because of one unpleasant incident that occurred last year.

"In a multi-ethnic environment, it causes problems," Parma told the Sunday edition of the Italian publication Corriere della Sera. "Last year we had a Christmas concert and some parents insisted on having carols. The Muslim children didn't sing, they just stood there, absolutely rigid. It is not nice watching a child not singing, or worse, being called down from the stage by their parents."

Because of this, Parma decided to rebrand the concert this year and simply call it a "winter concert." He also postponed the event until January next year.

Students will no longer be allowed to sing religious songs. As such, Parma rejected the offers made by two mothers to teach Christmas carols to children during lunch breaks.

The school, which has primary and middle school sections, has around 1,000 pupils. One out of five of these pupils belong to non-Christian faiths, particularly Islam.

Not everybody agrees with the decision made by Parma. "Christmas is much more important than a headmaster being provocative," Renzi said. "If he thinks he is promoting integration and co-existence in this way, he appears to me to have made a very big mistake."

Meanwhile, Matteo Salvini, leader of the right-wing, anti-immigration Northern League, has already called for Parma to be sacked immediately.

But Parma remains adamant about his decision, and said he would rather resign than back down from the action he took to resolve a sensitive issue.

News
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens

Seventy years ago, in February 1956, the BBC aired the mini-series “Jesus of Nazareth”, which was the first filming of the life of Jesus to be created for television. This is the story …

Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes
Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes

Christians are being asked to urge peers to support amendments tabled by Baronesses Monckton and Stroud.

Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror
Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror

The faithful are returning “in their thousands, not hundreds” despite more than a decade of brutal violence.

Trump is '100 per cent' more spiritual after assassination attempt, says pastor friend
Trump is '100 per cent' more spiritual after assassination attempt, says pastor friend

Trump's pastor and friend Mark Burns said the US President knows "the hand of God' was on him when he survived the 2024 assassination attempt.