400 refugees feared dead after boats capsize in Mediterranean, reports say

At least 400 refugees are feared to have drowned in the Mediterranean Sea after their boats capsized on the way to Europe.

Unconfirmed media reports said four vessels carrying mainly Somalis, but also some Eritreans and Ethiopians, capsized near the Egyptian coast.

BBC Arabic spoke to relatives of three people said to be on board one of the boars, and quoted the Somali ambassador to Egypt as saying a team was working to verify the information.

Médecins Sans Frontières tweeted in response to the news: "Mediterranean is a mass grave".

It later added that it could not confirm the reports, however.

Italian President Sergio Mattarella referred to the incident in Rome today, where he said Europe needed to reflect in the face of "yet another tragedy in the Mediterranean in which, it seems, several hundred people have died".

According to the Irish Independent, UNHCR spokesman William Spindler said: "Our offices in Egypt, Italy and Greece are trying to find out more about this reported incident but, so far, we cannot confirm it."

Flavio di Giacomo, a spokesman from the International Organisation for Migration, told IBTimes UK: "We can't exclude it either but at the moment there are no confirmed shipwrecks."

Italy's coastguard has so far said it has no information regarding the possible drowning, but it did say six bodies had been found and 108 people rescued in a separate incident.

A further 33 people were rescued from an island off the eastern coast of Sicily on Sunday, it said.

More than a million refugees and migrants arrived in Europe last year, many of them having made the treacherous journey across the Mediterranean Sea via human traffickers.

Thousands have died making the crossing; Pope Francis warned last year that the Mediterranean was turning into "a vast cemetery". Exactly a year ago today, an estimated 800 people died when their boat capsized off the Libyan coast. The deaths fuelled calls for a stronger response from Europe and prompted a number of summits on the crisis.

related articles
UK guilty of 'failure of leadership and moral courage' over refugee crisis

UK guilty of 'failure of leadership and moral courage' over refugee crisis

Bishop of Durham calls for immediate action to help desperate refugees in Europe
Bishop of Durham calls for immediate action to help desperate refugees in Europe

Bishop of Durham calls for immediate action to help desperate refugees in Europe

UK should set up a consulate for Calais migrants, says priest
UK should set up a consulate for Calais migrants, says priest

UK should set up a consulate for Calais migrants, says priest

Syrian refugees picked for the Vatican: \'Pope Francis saved our lives\'
Syrian refugees picked for the Vatican: 'Pope Francis saved our lives'

Syrian refugees picked for the Vatican: 'Pope Francis saved our lives'

News
Traitors’ winner Harry Clark heads to Rome in new BBC documentary exploring faith in modern Britain
Traitors’ winner Harry Clark heads to Rome in new BBC documentary exploring faith in modern Britain

BBC Two and iPlayer are set to air a new one-hour documentary this Easter charting The Traitors’ winner Harry Clark’s personal pilgrimage from Slough to the Vatican

Christians welcome NI decision to pull out of puberty blocker trial
Christians welcome NI decision to pull out of puberty blocker trial

Nesbitt initially indicated that the province would join the trial.

EU Parliament condemns expulsion of foreign Christians in Turkey
EU Parliament condemns expulsion of foreign Christians in Turkey

Turkey has said the EU is interfering in its internal affairs.

Fewer Britons giving something up for Lent as cathedrals invite deeper reflection
Fewer Britons giving something up for Lent as cathedrals invite deeper reflection

The number of Britons giving something up for Lent has fallen sharply over the past decade, according to new research highlighting a significant shift in how the season is observed.