Michael Bay bids 'Transformers 5' farewell, director to focus on '13 Hours'

Michael Bay on set filming in Detroit, Michigan on October 3, 2006. Wikipedia

The buzz about "Transformers 5" seems to have settled down this week and the last news to ever break out was the official disengagement of director Michael Bay and "Transformers: Age of Extinction" pin-up Mark Wahlberg from the blockbuster robot-themed franchise.

Although the newest "Transformers" installment is already scheduled for a 2016 release, the cast and the director to whom Bay have passed or will pass the duties are still hazy. Also, while the possibilities are very slim, Megan Fox and Shia Labeouf's return are yet to either be dispelled or confirmed. However, news about Michael Bay and his next directing endeavors have now been given some light.

Previously, Bay told everyone that he is finally taking on a "new direction" in making movies, thus staying away from movies involving Autobots and Decepticons. The new project turns out to be "13 Hours," as reported by Variety. The movie is based on a yet-to-be-published novel penned by Mitchell Zuckoff entitled "Thirteen Hours: A Firsthand Account of What Really Happened in Benghazi."

Set 11 years after the Sept. 11 tragedy, the story tells about the terrorist attacks on the U.S. Special Mission Compound and CIA Annex in Benghazi. Paramount has reportedly acquired the film rights back in February.

According to KDrama Stars, from the $200 million budget of the "Transformers" films, Bay will now have to work with $30 million to $40 million for "13 Hours." The site also stated that Erwin Stoff will produce the film.

Media outlets have also brought up Bay's would-be take on the film, saying that the tone will be the same as his 1996 action movie "The Rock". Chuck Hogan will write for the new Bay title. Hogan is the playwright behind "Prince of Thieves" adapted to a 2010 crime drama film "The Town," which was directed by Ben Affleck.

Flavor Wire has also released a memo by the director, citing a "source deep inside Bay's production company" which reveals Bay's plans for the new movie. The report revealed that the focus of the movie may be on "six badass security dudes." Actors mentioned include Mark Wahlberg, who, according to the memo, seems to be interested, Bruce Willis, Taylor Kitsch, Adam Scott, Tim Olyphant and Tyrese Gibson.

News
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens

Seventy years ago, in February 1956, the BBC aired the mini-series “Jesus of Nazareth”, which was the first filming of the life of Jesus to be created for television. This is the story …

Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes
Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes

Christians are being asked to urge peers to support amendments tabled by Baronesses Monckton and Stroud.

Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror
Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror

The faithful are returning “in their thousands, not hundreds” despite more than a decade of brutal violence.

Trump is '100 per cent' more spiritual after assassination attempt, says pastor friend
Trump is '100 per cent' more spiritual after assassination attempt, says pastor friend

Trump's pastor and friend Mark Burns said the US President knows "the hand of God' was on him when he survived the 2024 assassination attempt.