Manny Pacquiao next fight news: Pacquiao needs medical clearance first

Manny Pacquiao [photo: Commons Wikimedia/ Mike Gonzalez]

Manny Pacquiao will require a series of checkups first before the eight-time division boxing champion goes for his final career bout against Timothy Bradley Jr. in Las Vegas this April 9.

The protocol is, apparently, just a formality since Pacquiao already underwent magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) last year. Results showed that his shoulder had fully healed already, making the upcoming medical clearance nothing more than a formality to satisfy the requirements set forth by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

A press conference will be held at the Beverly Hills Hotel on Jan. 19 and it will serve as the prelude to the medical checkups before both Pacquiao and Bradley embark on a whirlwind tour with stops in Los Angeles and New York City.

The tour will wind up at Palm Springs in Southern California before Pacquiao heads back to Manila, Philippines, as reported by the Manila Bulletin.

Despite growing disappointment on the selection of Bradley, adviser Michael Koncz reasons out that Bradley was the best financial option from the shortlisted candidates the Filipino boxing icon had to choose from.

Koncz explains that he skimmed through the possibility of Pacquiao facing Amir Khan or even Adrien Broner. But in the end, he says that Bradley stood out as the logical choice, despite the fact that not too many people are happy about it.

Many feel that Pacquiao will still hold the edge since he was technically seen the winner in the first two fights. Pacquiao lost the first one via controversial split decision in 2012 but nevertheless rebounded in 2014, winning via unanimous decision.

Pacquiao reiterates that this is his last fight, although a Floyd Mayweather Jr. return could likely be the one to lure him out of retirement. To date, there's no indication that such fight, which could yield another big payout for both fighters, is happening. 

News
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings

The newly installed Archbishop of Westminster has said the Church must learn from victims of sexual abuse.

Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report
Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report

The institution of marriage has undergone a dramatic transformation over the past five decades - particularly among young adults.

Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent
Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent

One of England’s most well-known, historic and picturesque cathedrals has announced plans to run a Lent series looking at truth in the modern world.