Jodi Arias trial: Three witnesses refuse open court public testimonies

Jodi Arias' courtroom drama is definitely far from over, as three of the possible witnesses for her defense decided to refuse testifying in open court for fear of being harassed by the public. 

Arias' lawyers are requesting the court to take the death penalty off the possible verdict for their client because of the recent turn of events. According to Arias' defense team, the defendant will not be able to get a complete defense because of the refusal of the witnesses. 

The identity of the three witnesses were not released to the public, but the lawyers working for Arias' defense reportedly said that they are her former workmate, her long-term boyfriend, as well as one of the murder victim's friend when he was still alive. 

On Wednesday, the Arizona Court of Appeals overturned the Oct. 30 ruling by the Maricopa County Superior Judge Sherry Stephens that prevented the public from hearing the testimony of the first witness called by the Arias' defense team for her retrial. The initial ruling by Judge Stephens allowed the witness to testify behind closed doors because of the witness's refusal to be identified publicly. This ruling was challenged by three Phoenix TV stations including the KTVK, KPNX, and KPHO, as well as the Arizona Republic, and said that the judge's decision violated the First Amendment that allows the media to attend the court proceedings. 

Reports are saying that the unidentified witness was Jodi Arias herself, and she was the one who requested to testify in private. 

The jury is currently hearing all the evidences of the case to decide whether Arias will be given a life sentence or the death penalty for the murder of Travis Alexander in 2008. Arias received a guilty verdict last year, but the jury failed to come up with a majority decision for her punishment, which is why a retrial is needed to finalize her sentencing. 

The Jodi Arias retrial is expected to last until early 2015 before the final ruling will be reached.

News
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens

Seventy years ago, in February 1956, the BBC aired the mini-series “Jesus of Nazareth”, which was the first filming of the life of Jesus to be created for television. This is the story …

Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes
Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes

Christians are being asked to urge peers to support amendments tabled by Baronesses Monckton and Stroud.

Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror
Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror

The faithful are returning “in their thousands, not hundreds” despite more than a decade of brutal violence.

Trump is '100 per cent' more spiritual after assassination attempt, says pastor friend
Trump is '100 per cent' more spiritual after assassination attempt, says pastor friend

Trump's pastor and friend Mark Burns said the US President knows "the hand of God' was on him when he survived the 2024 assassination attempt.