US says 10,000 Islamic State fighters have been killed in 9 months

More than 10,000 Islamic State fighters have been killed since the international coalition started its campaign against the militant group nine months ago in Iraq and Syria, US Deputy Secretary of State Antony Blinkensaid on Wednesday.

Speaking after the coalition met in Paris, he said there had been a great deal of progress in the fight against Islamic State but that the group remained resilient and capable of taking the initiative.

"We have seen a lot of losses within Daesh since the start of this campaign, more than 10,000," Blinken said onFrance Inter radio, using a mildly derogatory term for Islamic State. "It will end up having an impact."

On Tuesday, Western and Arab states carrying out air strikes on Islamic State fighters backed Iraq's plan for retaking territory after being accused by the Iraqi premier of not doing enough to help Baghdad push back the insurgents.

"At the start of this campaign (we) said it would take time," he said. "We have conceived a three-year plan and we're nine months into it."

related articles
Shi\'ite militias launch counter-attack on Islamic State near Ramadi
Shi'ite militias launch counter-attack on Islamic State near Ramadi

Shi'ite militias launch counter-attack on Islamic State near Ramadi

Ramadi battle looms as Islamic State pours in reinforcements
Ramadi battle looms as Islamic State pours in reinforcements

Ramadi battle looms as Islamic State pours in reinforcements

Iraqi Shi\'ite militia take charge of campaign to drive Islamic State out of Anbar
Iraqi Shi'ite militia take charge of campaign to drive Islamic State out of Anbar

Iraqi Shi'ite militia take charge of campaign to drive Islamic State out of Anbar

News
Traitors’ winner Harry Clark heads to Rome in new BBC documentary exploring faith in modern Britain
Traitors’ winner Harry Clark heads to Rome in new BBC documentary exploring faith in modern Britain

BBC Two and iPlayer are set to air a new one-hour documentary this Easter charting The Traitors’ winner Harry Clark’s personal pilgrimage from Slough to the Vatican

Christians welcome NI decision to pull out of puberty blocker trial
Christians welcome NI decision to pull out of puberty blocker trial

Nesbitt initially indicated that the province would join the trial.

EU Parliament condemns expulsion of foreign Christians in Turkey
EU Parliament condemns expulsion of foreign Christians in Turkey

Turkey has said the EU is interfering in its internal affairs.

Fewer Britons giving something up for Lent as cathedrals invite deeper reflection
Fewer Britons giving something up for Lent as cathedrals invite deeper reflection

The number of Britons giving something up for Lent has fallen sharply over the past decade, according to new research highlighting a significant shift in how the season is observed.