US and allies may stay in Afghanistan to deter Taliban

US and allied defence officials, increasingly wary of White House plans to scale back the US presence in Afghanistan, are reviewing new drawdown options that include keeping thousands of American troops in the country beyond the end of 2016, the Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday.

The Journal said US Army General John Campbell, the top international commander in Afghanistan, had sent five different recommendations to the Pentagon and to NATO officials.

The options include keeping the current US presence at or near 10,000; reducing it slightly to 8,000; cutting the force roughly in half; and continuing with current plans to draw down to a force of several hundred troops by the end of 2016, the Journal reported.

Some officials worry that too large a cut could cause the Afghan government to come under increased pressure from the Taliban and other militants, the paper said.

There has been no formal Pentagon recommendation on changes in the troop presence in Afghanistan, the Journal reported.

The lessons of the Iraq withdrawal in 2011 and the rise of the Islamic State militant group loom over the Afghanistan debate, the Journal said. Some officials believe that Iraq's military would have been able to better fight off Islamic State's advance last year had the United States maintained a force of at least several thousand advisers in the country.

related articles
3 Afghan girls splashed with acid on their faces \'as punishment for going to school
3 Afghan girls splashed with acid on their faces 'as punishment for going to school

3 Afghan girls splashed with acid on their faces 'as punishment for going to school

2 top al-Qaeda leaders killed in Syria and Afghanistan US airstrikes, Pentagon says

2 top al-Qaeda leaders killed in Syria and Afghanistan US airstrikes, Pentagon says

Afghanistan: Truck bomb kills at least six, wounds dozens
Afghanistan: Truck bomb kills at least six, wounds dozens

Afghanistan: Truck bomb kills at least six, wounds dozens

News
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings

The newly installed Archbishop of Westminster has said the Church must learn from victims of sexual abuse.

Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report
Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report

The institution of marriage has undergone a dramatic transformation over the past five decades - particularly among young adults.

Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent
Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent

One of England’s most well-known, historic and picturesque cathedrals has announced plans to run a Lent series looking at truth in the modern world.