Afghanistan: Truck bomb kills at least six, wounds dozens

A truck bomb targeting an Afghan special forces base in an eastern province killed at least six people and wounded dozens, officials said on Thursday.

The blast was the latest in a wave of attacks launched by Taliban insurgents and their allies since most foreign troops withdrew from Afghanistan at the end of last year.

"The bomb was huge and it was carried by a mini-truck," said Aleem Fedaee, the governor of Logar province, where the blast took place. "It inflicted a lot of damage to the civilians and broke windows even a kilometre away."

Three soldiers and three civilians were among the dead, he added.

Thirteen wounded civilians were taken to a hospital about 200 metres (660 ft) from the site of the blast, a doctor at the hospital said.

He added that the explosion also wounded 11 doctors in the hospital, in the provincial capital of Pul-i-Alam, about 100 km (62 miles) from Kabul.

Afghan troops have been battling a rising insurgency that has killed and wounded thousands of soldiers, police and civilians since the beginning of the year.

There have been almost 5,000 civilian casualties in Afghanistan in the first half of the year, U.N. figures show.

related articles
Afghanistan: Seven dead after gunmen open fire on Muslim clerics

Afghanistan: Seven dead after gunmen open fire on Muslim clerics

Taliban attack on Kabul guest house leaves at least five dead
Taliban attack on Kabul guest house leaves at least five dead

Taliban attack on Kabul guest house leaves at least five dead

New Osama bin Laden documents show fixation with attacking America
New Osama bin Laden documents show fixation with attacking America

New Osama bin Laden documents show fixation with attacking America

US soldier who massacred 19 Afghan civilians is baptised and \'prays every day\' in prison
US soldier who massacred 19 Afghan civilians is baptised and 'prays every day' in prison

US soldier who massacred 19 Afghan civilians is baptised and 'prays every day' in prison

News
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings

The newly installed Archbishop of Westminster has said the Church must learn from victims of sexual abuse.

Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report
Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report

The institution of marriage has undergone a dramatic transformation over the past five decades - particularly among young adults.

Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent
Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent

One of England’s most well-known, historic and picturesque cathedrals has announced plans to run a Lent series looking at truth in the modern world.