Six dead, including priest, in church attack in Burkina Faso

An attack on a church in Burkina Faso has left six people dead, including the priest. 

The Catholic church was also burned down when dozens of attackers stormed the building in Dablo, in the north of the country, during mass on Sunday.

Dablo mayor Ousmane Zongo told AFP news agency that villagers have retreated indoors in fear following the attack. 

"Armed individuals burst into the Catholic church ... They started firing as the congregation tried to flee," he said. 

"There is an atmosphere of panic in the town. People are holed up in their homes, nothing is going on. The shops and stores are closed. It's practically a ghost town," he said.

According to the BBC, local residents accused soldiers in a nearby base of failing to respond promptly. 

Last month, a separate attack on a Protestant church in nearby Silgadji also killed six people, among them the priest and his son.  

An eyewitness told World Watch Monitor that the victims were killed after they refused to renounce their faith.

"The assailants asked the Christians to convert to Islam, but the pastor and the others refused," the eyewitness said. 

Fides news agency reports that four people were killed in an earlier attack in April on a Catholic church in a village close to Silgadji. 

World Watch Monitor reports that a Spanish Catholic priest was killed by armed men, believed to be Islamist militants, while travelling to Nohao in the south-east from Togo.

Burkina Faso has seen a wave of attacks by Islamist groups believed to have links to al-Qaeda and the Islamic State. 

Henri Ye, president of the Federation of Evangelical Churches and Missions in Burkina Faso, spoke out against the violence following last month's church attack. 

He said: "It's not only the church of Sirgadji that has been attacked; all the values of tolerance, forgiveness, and love that have always led our country have been hurt. The freedom of worship consecrated by our fundamental law [the Constitution] has been flouted."

He added: "In the face of blind hatred, let us ask God to give us the strength to spread love, which makes us the children of God. The unity of the Body of Christ and of the whole nation must be preserved at all costs."

News
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens

Seventy years ago, in February 1956, the BBC aired the mini-series “Jesus of Nazareth”, which was the first filming of the life of Jesus to be created for television. This is the story …

Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes
Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes

Christians are being asked to urge peers to support amendments tabled by Baronesses Monckton and Stroud.

Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror
Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror

The faithful are returning “in their thousands, not hundreds” despite more than a decade of brutal violence.

Trump is '100 per cent' more spiritual after assassination attempt, says pastor friend
Trump is '100 per cent' more spiritual after assassination attempt, says pastor friend

Trump's pastor and friend Mark Burns said the US President knows "the hand of God' was on him when he survived the 2024 assassination attempt.