Pro-life group disappointed after judge sides with Scottish Government on abortion pills

A pro-life group has lost its legal challenge against the Scottish Government's plans to allow women to take abortion pills at home. 

The Scottish Government changed the rules last year to allow women in Scotland to take misoprostol at home on the condition that they had first taken the drug mifepristone in a clinic 24 to 48 hours beforehand.

The Society for the Protection of Unborn Children (SPUC) had argued that allowing women to take the drug at home was "not consistent" with the 1967 Abortion Act requiring the presence of medical, nursing or clinical staff.

They also argued that the list of approved places for an abortion in the 1967 Act "was not intended to allow abortions to take place at home".

SPUC said it was considering taking the case to the Supreme Court after three judges sided with the Scottish Government on Wednesday. 

In their verdict, Lord Justice Clerk, Lord Menzies and Lord Brodie said: "We do not accept that the doctor's control or supervision over the treatment differs in any material way between the situation of taking the tablet within the clinic and then leaving; and that of delaying the taking of the tablet to allow the woman to travel home.

"Both result in the termination of the pregnancy taking place outside of the clinic.

"In each case the RMP can properly be described as taking responsibility for the treatment of the termination of the pregnancy and control in the appropriate sense is maintained."

John Deighan, chief executive of SPUC Scotland said he was "greatly saddened" by the decision.

"We have been convinced all along that the policy decision by the Chief Medical Officer and Scottish Government was illegal as well as detrimental to the well-being of women in our country," he said.

"Women should not be facing the mental anguish that accompanies DIY abortions, nor any abortion for that matter." 

He added: "For the sake of women's health and the universal right to life we cannot stand idly by whilst such a detrimental measure is implemented in the name of health care."

News
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens

Seventy years ago, in February 1956, the BBC aired the mini-series “Jesus of Nazareth”, which was the first filming of the life of Jesus to be created for television. This is the story …

Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes
Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes

Christians are being asked to urge peers to support amendments tabled by Baronesses Monckton and Stroud.

Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror
Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror

The faithful are returning “in their thousands, not hundreds” despite more than a decade of brutal violence.

Trump is '100 per cent' more spiritual after assassination attempt, says pastor friend
Trump is '100 per cent' more spiritual after assassination attempt, says pastor friend

Trump's pastor and friend Mark Burns said the US President knows "the hand of God' was on him when he survived the 2024 assassination attempt.