French cardinal to go on trial accused of covering up sex abuse

A French cardinal and other senior Catholic Church officials will go on trial accused of covering up sex abuse in what will be France's highest profile abuse case.

Cardinal Philippe Barbarin, archbishop of Lyon, Archbishop Luis Ladaria Ferrer, head of the Vatican's powerful doctrine office, and five other Catholic Church officials will appear before a criminal court in Lyon in January next year.

Victims of a paedophile priest, Father Bernard Preynat, say the Catholic leaders knew about Preynat's past abuses but did not report them to the authorities.

Preynat is accused of sexual aggression and rape of a minor and accused of abusing boy scouts in the 1980s. He was charged in January of with sexual aggression of minors for a person in a position of authority.

Cardinal Barbain said he was convinced the priest had reformed in 2007-2008 when they met. He admitted some 'mistakes' had been made but denied any attempt to cover up the abuse.

However he said he understood their anger.

'Their suffering is as painful today as it was 30 years ago. For them, it is appalling and unacceptable that he was allowed to carry on serving as a priest,' Barbarin told Le Monde newspaper in August.

The trial is set for January 7-9, 2019.

News
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens

Seventy years ago, in February 1956, the BBC aired the mini-series “Jesus of Nazareth”, which was the first filming of the life of Jesus to be created for television. This is the story …

Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes
Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes

Christians are being asked to urge peers to support amendments tabled by Baronesses Monckton and Stroud.

Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror
Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror

The faithful are returning “in their thousands, not hundreds” despite more than a decade of brutal violence.

Trump is '100 per cent' more spiritual after assassination attempt, says pastor friend
Trump is '100 per cent' more spiritual after assassination attempt, says pastor friend

Trump's pastor and friend Mark Burns said the US President knows "the hand of God' was on him when he survived the 2024 assassination attempt.