EU allows citizens to remove unfavorable Google, Bing, Yahoo search results

The Court of Justice of the European Union ruled today that all search engines must hear, and sometimes grant, requests for search results to be removed.

Google, Yahoo, Bing, and other search engines have been charged with weighing right to privacy issues with "the legitimate interest of Internet users potentially interested in having access to that information," the court ruled.

Mario Costeja wanted to remove a search engine result of his name that referenced an old welfare debt and property auction. The EU case was escalated to the Court of Justice after Google contested an unfavorable 2010 decision in the Spanish National Court.

On Tuesday, the Court of Justice agreed with the National Court's ruling that the item should be removed from the internet by Google.

Previously, search engines instructed citizens complaining about the presence of untrue, outdated, or prejudicial information online to contact the website administrator. Tuesday's ruling puts the responsibility on the search engines' shoulders, and cannot be appealed.

Google spokesman Al Verney called the ruling "disappointing... for search engines and online publishers in general," according to the Associated Press.

Open Rights Group, a European digital rights organization, expressed concern over potential censoring of online content.

"We need to take into account individuals' right to privacy, but if search engines are forced to remove links to legitimate content that is already in the public domain... it could lead to online censorship," policy director Javier Ruiz said.

For Costeja and other right to privacy advocates, today's ruling was a victory.

"It's a great relief to be shown that you were right when you have fought for your ideas. It's a joy," Costeja told the Associated Press.

"If Google was great before, it's perfect now, because there are game rules to go by."

News
Between two cultures: an Afghan Christian in the Netherlands
Between two cultures: an Afghan Christian in the Netherlands

Esther*, who was born in Afghanistan and raised in the Netherlands after her family fled the country when she was three, speaks to Christian Today about her journey of faith, life between two cultures, and her hopes and fears for Afghanistan’s future.

The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens

Seventy years ago, in February 1956, the BBC aired the mini-series “Jesus of Nazareth”, which was the first filming of the life of Jesus to be created for television. This is the story …

Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes
Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes

Christians are being asked to urge peers to support amendments tabled by Baronesses Monckton and Stroud.

Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror
Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror

The faithful are returning “in their thousands, not hundreds” despite more than a decade of brutal violence.