'Doctor Strange' news: Marvel confirms cast, begins production

Doctor Strange Facebook/Marvel

Earlier this week, Marvel announced that production has begun on "Doctor Strange." The announcement comes three weeks after a photo from the set of the movie circulated online. The official press release also lists the film's cast, which includes Benedict Cumberbatch ("Sherlock"), Chiwetel Ejiofor ("The Martian), Rachel McAdams ("The Notebook"), Michael Stuhlbarg ("Boardwalk Empire"), Mads Mikkelsen ("Hannibal") and Tilda Swinton ("The Chronicles of Narnia").

Cumberbatch will be playing the titular role, and while the roles of the other actors have not been officially confirmed, it was reported that Ejiofor will be playing Doctor Strange's adversary, Baron Mordo. Stuhlbarg will be playing Nicodemus West, while Swinton is The Ancient One. Meanwhile, McAdams is rumored to be playing Night Nurse Christine Palmer.

Here is the first synopsis for the film:

"'Doctor Strange' follows the story of neurosurgeon Doctor Stephen Strange who, after a horrific car accident, discovers the hidden world of magic and alternate dimensions. 'Doctor Strange' is the latest film in Phase 3 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 3's goal—over the course of four years and nine films—is to introduce audiences to new heroes and continue the adventures of fan favorites."

Production will take place in London, New York, Hong Kong, and Kathmandu, Nepal.

In a recent interview with Vulture, Ejiofor confirmed that he has done some filming in Nepal with Cumberbatch before he flew back to LA.

"I was in Nepal, yeah. I had to fly all the way back from Nepal to here. Which is a long way, as it turns out!" Ejiofor said.
When asked about his role in the film and what drew him to play it, the actor played coy and told Vulture that he did not want to talk about it.

"I feel like it's linked to things I shouldn't get into," Ejiofor said about his refusal to talk about the role.

"Doctor Strange" premieres on Nov. 4, 2016.

News
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship

Authorities in Sudan are obstructing efforts by a church to rebuild and even to use their place of worship

Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist
Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist

Dr Emil Saleem Shehadeh has some sage advice for how Christians can engage with their Muslim neighbours and colleagues during Ramadan.

David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban
David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban

Having already been banned, the latest sanction merely reinforces an earlier decision.

Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by
Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by

The constellation of powers that produced the eradication of the Armenian Christian presence in Nagorno Karabakh now have their sights on the Republic of Armenia itself.