Cleveland Browns NFL 2015 news: Johnny Manziel confident he will play in Week 1

Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel in the 2015 preseason against the Washington Redskins. Wikimedia Commons/Erik Drost

Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel last threw on Aug. 23 and since then was given a rest because of elbow tendinitis; but during Monday's practice, he was throwing again and said he is ready to play in Week 1. 

When asked if he was doubting his status for Week 1 against the New York Jets Manziel told reporters, "Not in my mind. Not, I don't think, in anybody else's, either."

Manziel said Monday that he was throwing lightly since it is just like an extra practice for them and it is not really necessary to go hard, adding that he expects to be fully throwing when the Browns resume practice this Wednesday. 

According to ESPN, Manziel said he was not concerned with the tendinitis, which he added was the effect of overusing his elbow, but the rest he had was enough to reduce the inflammation.

The Browns will begin their 2015 regular season on Sept. 13 visiting the Jets at the MetLife Stadium.

In a report by Cleveland.com, Browns head coach Mike Pettine said Manziel playing in Week 1 is yet to be determined but added his second string quarterback is on the right track and they feel good with where he is. 

The Browns recently signed quarterback Austin Davis to be ready for whatever happens come Week 1. 

Davis played 10 games for the St. Louis Rams last season, which included eight starts completing 180 of his 284 passes for 2,001 yards and 12 touchdowns. 

The Browns are yet to make an official announcement but it is expected that former Tampa Bay Buccaneer and veteran Josh McCown will be their starter for the upcoming season. 

McCown was signed by Cleveland last March following his release from the Bucs after the 2014 season.  

The Browns are looking to make it to the playoffs in the 2015 season after failing to reach it for the past 12 seasons. 

News
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings

The newly installed Archbishop of Westminster has said the Church must learn from victims of sexual abuse.

Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report
Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report

The institution of marriage has undergone a dramatic transformation over the past five decades - particularly among young adults.

Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent
Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent

One of England’s most well-known, historic and picturesque cathedrals has announced plans to run a Lent series looking at truth in the modern world.