British couple convicted of planning London terror attacks

A British couple were convicted on Tuesday of plotting an attack in London after the husband sent out tweets asking for advice on which targets he should hit, alerting police to a stockpile of chemicals at their home.

Mohammed Rehman, 25, and Sana Ahmed Khan, 24, were found guilty by a jury at the Central Criminal Court of engaging in the preparation of terrorist acts, with a view to hitting either a large shopping centre in the capital or the London underground network.

"Westfield shopping centre or London underground? Any advice would be appreciated greatly," Rehman said on Twitter, under the name "Silent Bomber".

The couple, who denied the charges, are to be sentenced at a later date.

The British prosecutor said on Tuesday the two Britons had carried out detailed research into militant attacks, including searching the Internet for videos related to the London transport bombings which killed 52 people a decade ago.

Those attacks were carried out on July 7, 2005 when four young British Muslims travelled from northern England to the capital to detonate homemade bombs hidden in rucksacks on three underground trains and a bus during the morning rush-hour.

British media reports said Rehman and Ahmed Khan had planned to carry out an attack to coincide with the 10-year anniversary of those earlier bombings.

Rehman, who was also found guilty of possessing an article for terrorist purposes, had carried out test bombs in his garden which he filmed and sent to his wife, and she had also helped to purchase the chemicals, the prosecutor said.

"The pair had been very close to carrying out an attack, all they required was to purchase the chemicals to make a detonator," said Susan Hemming, Head of Counter Terrorism Division at the Crown Prosecution Service.

She added that the couple had already acquired 10 kg (22 pounds) of Urea Nitrate. "There is little doubt that, had Rehman and Ahmed Khan not been stopped when they were, they would have attempted to carry out an act of terrorism in London."

Britain is on its second highest alert level of "severe", meaning an attack by militants is considered highly likely. The designation remained the same after the Nov. 13 Islamist attacks in Paris that killed 130 people.

related articles
10 years after 7/7: Why the terrorists will never win
10 years after 7/7: Why the terrorists will never win

10 years after 7/7: Why the terrorists will never win

7/7 bombings memorial service: \'Even in our darkest hour, the flame of hope burns strong\'
7/7 bombings memorial service: 'Even in our darkest hour, the flame of hope burns strong'

7/7 bombings memorial service: 'Even in our darkest hour, the flame of hope burns strong'

Pope condemns \'monstrous evil\' and terrorism in Christmas message
Pope condemns 'monstrous evil' and terrorism in Christmas message

Pope condemns 'monstrous evil' and terrorism in Christmas message

News
Traitors’ winner Harry Clark heads to Rome in new BBC documentary exploring faith in modern Britain
Traitors’ winner Harry Clark heads to Rome in new BBC documentary exploring faith in modern Britain

BBC Two and iPlayer are set to air a new one-hour documentary this Easter charting The Traitors’ winner Harry Clark’s personal pilgrimage from Slough to the Vatican

Christians welcome NI decision to pull out of puberty blocker trial
Christians welcome NI decision to pull out of puberty blocker trial

Nesbitt initially indicated that the province would join the trial.

EU Parliament condemns expulsion of foreign Christians in Turkey
EU Parliament condemns expulsion of foreign Christians in Turkey

Turkey has said the EU is interfering in its internal affairs.

Fewer Britons giving something up for Lent as cathedrals invite deeper reflection
Fewer Britons giving something up for Lent as cathedrals invite deeper reflection

The number of Britons giving something up for Lent has fallen sharply over the past decade, according to new research highlighting a significant shift in how the season is observed.