Boko Haram armed by Nigerian generals and other senior military officers, court-martial finds

Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau calls for release of prisoners in exchange for kidnapped schoolgirls.

A Nigerian court-martial recently found 10 generals and five other senior military officers guilty of arming and feeding information to terrorist group Boko Haram.

News reports published today state that the court-martial began in September 2013, when it became apparent to military and political leaders that the Nigerian army's movements were being leaked to Boko Haram.

"This was why many soldiers have been ambushed and killed by the Boko Haram," a source told Nigerian newspaper, Leadership. Other sources told the Associated Press that disloyal officers would fight with Boko Haram and then return to their barracks.

Source say that the officers conspired to keep the country in a state of unrest.

"They have been found guilty of also collaborating with some top politicians in the country to make the country ungovernable for selfish reasons," a man told Leadership.

"A lot of re-organisation is going on in the military. Many generals will go. Some will be court-martialed and some will be forcefully retired."

The 15 guilty verdicts were found at the divisional level, and the officers will undergo a final review at the Defense headquarters in Abuja.

Defense Ministry spokesman Major General Chris Olukolade has not commented on the court-martial proceedings, and the military officials involved have not been named. Olukolade has repeatedly denied that some members of the Army are in cahoots with Boko Haram, blaming such reports on propaganda and military imposters.

In a 2012 service commemorating Armed Forces Rememberance Day, President Goodluck Jonathan said that Boko Haram had infiltrated high levels of government and law enforcement.

"Some of them are in the executive arm of government, some of them are in the parliamentary/legislative arm of government, while some of them are even in the judiciary," he said during a speech.

"Some are also in the armed forces, the police and other security agencies. Some continue to dip their hands and eat with you and you won't even know the person who will point a gun at you or plant a bomb behind your house."

Boko Haram gained international attention after kidnapping over 270 children from an all-girls school in Chibok, Nigeria on April 14. A second mass kidnapping occurred on May 4 in Warabe.

Nigerian officials announced last week that they know where the girls are, but have not decided how they will bring the victims back safely.

http://leadership.ng/news/373136/aiding-boko-haram-army-court-martials-10-generals-5-others

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/06/03/report-courts-martial-finds-10-nigerian-generals-5-others-guilty-arming-boko/?intcmp=latestnews

http://www.punchng.com/news/boko-haram-has-infiltrated-my-govt-jonathan/

http://www.theheraldng.com/alleged-army-boko-haram-collaboration-defence-hq-denies-soldiers-expose/

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/boko.haram.attacks.leave.90.nigerians.dead.borno.yobe.states/37775.htm

News
Between two cultures: an Afghan Christian in the Netherlands
Between two cultures: an Afghan Christian in the Netherlands

Esther*, who was born in Afghanistan and raised in the Netherlands after her family fled the country when she was three, speaks to Christian Today about her journey of faith, life between two cultures, and her hopes and fears for Afghanistan’s future.

The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens

Seventy years ago, in February 1956, the BBC aired the mini-series “Jesus of Nazareth”, which was the first filming of the life of Jesus to be created for television. This is the story …

Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes
Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes

Christians are being asked to urge peers to support amendments tabled by Baronesses Monckton and Stroud.

Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror
Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror

The faithful are returning “in their thousands, not hundreds” despite more than a decade of brutal violence.