Ronald Poppo update [VIDEO, PHOTOS]: 'Miami Zombie' cannibal victim "living happily" a year after shocking attack by Rudy Eugene
Cannibal victim Ronald Poppo has released a video for the first time in almost a year since he was savagely attacked by Rudy Eugene in Miami, Florida.
Poppo, 66, had over 75 percent of his face chewed off by Eugene, who was shot to death by police during the attack.
Poppo is blind as a result of losing both of his eyes from the attack but has since recovered and is happy. He has been living at the Jackson Memorial Perdue Medical Center since a month after the attack.
Doctors have issued a press release saying that Poppo is now "living happily and adjusting to his new life."
Dr. Woody Kassira said at a press conference today: "He's had a long year, but has managed to cope quite well." He has since put on 50 pounds and learned to feed, dress, shower, and shave.
The video clip shows that Poppo is playing the guitar as he continues to recover.
In the video, Poppo says "I thank the outpouring of people in the community and I will always be grateful for that."
He also said: "Thanks for contributing and helping out. People in my predicament need to be helped out and I am sure there are people also that have the same type of predicament."
Poppo is so far content with how his life is now after undergoing four surgeries so far.
Surgeon Urmen Desai says: "He's blind, he can't see what he looks like, and it's not important to him how the world sees him. He wants the world to know he's not traumatized by this ... and that he's happy and grateful for being alive after such an incident."
Poppo was attacked on May 26 last year by Rudy Eugene.
Eugene, 31, was naked when he pounced on Poppo who was napping under the MacArthur Causeway in daylight. The attack was caught on surveillance cameras from the Miami Herald building. The video showed Eugene stripping Poppo before attacking his face.
Passersby reported the scene to police, who came and saw the horrific attack. An officer shot and killed Eugene on the spot after he refused to stop eating Poppo's face.
"[Eugene] was like a zombie, blood dripping, it was intense," witness Larry Vega told the New York Daily News. "The closest thing I've seen to it? 'The Walking Dead.'"
Poppo had been living homeless in Florida for the past 30 years and his estranged family had thought he was dead before they found out he was the victim of the cannibal attack."
Pope Francis used his Christmas blessing to call for an end to fighting in Syria and the Holy Land.
Pope Francis said on Saturday that Christmas had been "taken hostage" by dazzling materialism that puts God in the shadows and blinds many to the needs of the hungry, the migrants and the war weary.
- Christian Movie Producer Mark Burnett On Ben Hur And The Forgiveness Of Christ
- Christian Gospel Star Travis Greene To Perform At Donald Trump Inauguration
- Pendant Similar To That Worn By Anne Frank Unearthed In Nazi Concentration Camp
- Four evangelistic approaches which probably don't work
- Five Evangelistic Ideas That Might Actually Work
- 5 Ways To Cheer Up On Blue Monday
- God, Grant Me The Serenity To Accept The Train Strikes I Cannot Change
- The Death Of John The Baptist: How To See God At Work In Tragedy
- Trump's Inauguration: Why Who Prays Is Always Controversial
- 'We See The Glass Half-Full': Aide To Palestinian President Welcomes Jared Kushner As Peace Envoy
- Christian Pastor Slams Germany's 'Kangaroo Court' Hearings Into Migrant Conversions
- South African Pastor Feeds Churchgoers Engine Fluid 'To Demonstrate The Power Of God'
- UN's Humanitarian Wing In Crisis As Major Cuts Follow Damning Review
- Religion, Faith Saw Drastic Decline Under President Obama, Pew Study Shows
- In 10 Years, Italy 'Will All Be Muslims Because of Atheism, a Weak Church, and Stupidity,' Archbishop Warns