OnePlus One smartphone can now be purchased without an invitation

Invite on the OnePlus website

OnePlus' aggressively priced phone, the OnePlus One, has been an elusive device for a number of smartphone enthusiasts since it can only be acquired through a cumbersome invite system. However, the Chinese startup company is setting up a promotional offer in which consumers will finally be able to purchase a unit without having to go through the invite obstacle. 

According to the company, the promotional offer for acquiring its "flagship killer" device will happen on Jan. 20 and will run from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. EST or 19:00 to 21:00 GMT. The models that will be up for grabs are the 16 GB Silk White and the 64 GB Sandstone Black models. OnePlus won't be deviating from the original retail price of its offerings because the 16 GB version is still at $299 while the 64 GB one is at $349. 

The aforementioned price tags is one of the reasons why companies like OnePlus and Xiaomi are able to gain considerable amounts of traction in such a short period of time, particularly against the likes of Samsung and Apple. While Xiaomi is clearly above OnePlus in terms of smartphone market share, it is also because Xiaomi's distribution reach is much wider compared to OnePlus'. The "flagship killer" maker ran into production problems as it only expected to sell a unit count of 50,000 units, whereas demand spiked to the point where the company's units sales count reached nearly one million from April to December last year. 

According to Carl Pei, the company is going to be releasing two handsets this year, where one will be the successor of the OnePlus One, the OnePlus Two, while the other device will be targeted toward a different audience and so far, does not carry a model name. The OnePlus Two is expected to be released during the third quarter of 2015.

News
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship
Sudan authorities use bureaucracy to stop church rebuilding and worship

Authorities in Sudan are obstructing efforts by a church to rebuild and even to use their place of worship

Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist
Ramadan ‘offers a unique opportunity’ to share the Gospel, says missiologist

Dr Emil Saleem Shehadeh has some sage advice for how Christians can engage with their Muslim neighbours and colleagues during Ramadan.

David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban
David Tudor hit with another lifetime ministry ban

Having already been banned, the latest sanction merely reinforces an earlier decision.

Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by
Armenia’s Christian civilization is under existential threat - the UK must not stand idly by

The constellation of powers that produced the eradication of the Armenian Christian presence in Nagorno Karabakh now have their sights on the Republic of Armenia itself.