Holly Bobo murder trial 2017 news update: New name comes up in trial; more evidence surfaces

The trial for the 2011 murder of nursing student Holly Bobo begins this September, and both a new name and more pieces of evidence have surfaced just in time for the case to proceed.

Sex offender Terry Britt's name has come up in court for the case of murdered nursing student Holly Bobo. Jennifer Thompson, lawyer to two of the three main suspects in the trial, said that a detail was missed during the motion hearing on Aug. 9.

"The tape recorded interview of Terry Britt on 5-10-13," Thompson told News 4. Recordings of Britt and "other evidence" has not been given to her by the prosecutors, she said.

Britt is a convicted sex offender with a long history of sex crimes, including a rape case in 1977, sexual battery in 1987 and another rape case in 1996. Britt was indicted for a 2008 kidnap and rape case just ten months after Bobo disappeared. Britt lived in Decatur County, Tennessee, at the time, only ten miles away from Bobo.

Britt's wife has confirmed to News 4 that investigators have searched their home.

Meanwhile, prosecutors revealed that Bobo was shot before she died. Experts found an indentation on Bobo's skull that is consistent with a bullet wound, said the prosecutors during the Aug. 9 court hearing.

The defense also asked for a continuance during the trial, hoping to delay the case to January. Judge C. Creed McGinley denied the motion, meaning the trial will continue on Sept. 11.

There were disagreements in court about several issues, such as the defense claiming there was a shoe print at Bobo's home, which the state denied the existence of. The state, meanwhile, said that the months had gone by without any response from the defense, which the defense then denied.

Judge McGinley also repeated what he said last year about bringing prohibited items during the trial. "I will not tolerate signs, placards, T-shirts; anything like that could be perceived as trying to influence the prospective jurors," he said in 2016.

The state will call 200 witnesses to the stand once the trial begins.

Twenty-year-old Holly Bobo was abducted in Decatur County in April 2011, but it was only in 2014 that suspects Zachary Rye Adams, Dylan Adams and Jason Autry were indicted. Bobo's partial remains were also found in 2014, nine miles from the family home where she was kidnapped.

Dylan Adams will be the first suspect to face trial this Sept. 11.

Newsletter Stay up to date with Christian Today
News
Christian aid organisations mobilise emergency Ebola response in Democratic Republic of Congo
Christian aid organisations mobilise emergency Ebola response in Democratic Republic of Congo

Christian aid organisations are mobilising emergency health responses in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) following a deadly Ebola outbreak in the country’s north-east that has prompted international concern.

Three Baptist pastors killed in Manipur ambush after peace conference
Three Baptist pastors killed in Manipur ambush after peace conference

The victims were senior leaders of the Thadou Baptist Association India (TBAI), a Baptist denomination rooted in the Thadou-Kuki community of Manipur.

Over 1,000 gather in Blackpool for Diocese of Blackburn centenary celebration
Over 1,000 gather in Blackpool for Diocese of Blackburn centenary celebration

Over 1,000 Christians from across Lancashire gathered in the heart of Blackpool over the weekend for a large-scale public celebration marking the centenary year of the Church of England’s Diocese of Blackburn.

Christian group has mixed feelings about new trans guidance
Christian group has mixed feelings about new trans guidance

The NHS can no longer hide behind the "waiting for guidance" excuse, but a Christian group fears that inaction will still be the order of the day as the guidance does not extend to workplaces.