Seattle Archdiocese pays out $9 million over priest sex abuse claims

The Seattle Archdiocese has agreed to pay $9 million to eight women who were allegedly abused by a former priest as children, according to reports on Wednesday.

Michael Cody, who died last year, is said to have abused the women between 1968 and 1974 while serving as a priest at churches in Whatcom and Skagit counties.

Archbishop Peter Sartain said he deeply regrets Cody's actions.

"Our first priority is the protection of children and healing for past victims," he said.

"It is my firm commitment to build on the good efforts of the past and continue to take steps that will truly help victims of clergy sexual abuse to heal."

Last May, during another lawsuit over an incident spanning the 1960s-70s, it was revealed that the archbishop at the time, Thomas Connelly, was aware Cody was a paedophile.

In that lawsuit, Cody was alleged to have molested a woman, who received $1.2 million from the diocese. During the trial, it was revealed that in 1962 Connelly had received a letter from a psychiatrist diagnosing Cody as a paedophile who had sexually abused young girls, according to AP. Following the letter, Cody was moved from King County to Skagit County.

"The evidence regarding Father Cody is overwhelming, and I don't think the archdiocese wants more bad publicity," said Michael Pfau, the women in the current settlement's attorney, AP reported.

"The direct involvement of former Arcbishop Thomas Connelly in placing this paedophile in parishes with full knowledge of his danger to children is truly disturbing."

Cody, who reportedly served as a priest in a number of parishes in west Washington, had petitioned to leave priesthood in 1989 and was officially granted this request in 2005.

"This $9 million settlement demonstrates our ongoing commitment to acknowledge and address the devastating impact of clergy sexual abuse, and to encourage victims to come forward," Sartain said.

related articles
Former Archbishop is \'appalled\' by CofE\'s treatment of Bishop George Bell
Former Archbishop is 'appalled' by CofE's treatment of Bishop George Bell

Former Archbishop is 'appalled' by CofE's treatment of Bishop George Bell

New group seeks to clear name of bishop accused of paedophilia
New group seeks to clear name of bishop accused of paedophilia

New group seeks to clear name of bishop accused of paedophilia

Paedophile bishop Peter Ball impersonated twin brother at services

Paedophile bishop Peter Ball impersonated twin brother at services

George Bell victim\'s lawyer says her client not being afforded due respect
George Bell victim's lawyer says her client not being afforded due respect

George Bell victim's lawyer says her client not being afforded due respect

News
All Nations Christian College to sell campus and move courses online
All Nations Christian College to sell campus and move courses online

The college campus has connections with the 19th century abolitionist movement.

What is the biblical basis of Ash Wednesday?
What is the biblical basis of Ash Wednesday?

18 February 2026 is Ash Wednesday, which traditionally starts the season of Lent. This is the story …

Lent for the weary: rethinking the season as rest, not religious hustle
Lent for the weary: rethinking the season as rest, not religious hustle

Has Lent just become another self-improvement project with a spiritual label?

Bible Society stands by 'Quiet Revival' research
Bible Society stands by 'Quiet Revival' research

Questions about the study have been raised.