Sydney mourns cafe siege victims

Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott said on Tuesday security officials had intercepted a heightened level of"terrorist chatter" in the aftermath of the Sydney cafe siege.

As memorial services were held for the two victims of the 16-hour siege a week ago, Abbott warned that the public needed to remain alert as the country headed into Christmas and New Year celebrations.

"The national security agencies today indicated that there has been a heightened level of terrorist chatter in the aftermath of the Martin Place siege," Abbott told reporters in Sydney.

Man Haron Monis, a self-styled sheikh, held hostages at gunpoint at the Lindt Chocolate Cafe in Martin Place, a central Sydney shopping and office precinct, from mid-morning on Monday last week.

hostages, cafe manager Tori Johnson and lawyer Katrina Dawson, were killed along with Monis when police stormed the cafe. An official investigation into the final moments of the siege and the deaths of all three is underway.

"I'm alerting people to the fact that the terror level remains high and at this level an attack is likely," Abbott said.

Police have said they would be boosting their presence at prominent locations such as Sydney Harbour, home to the Opera House, over the Christmas period.

Several of the 17 hostages taken by Monis attended the funeral service for 34-year-old Johnson at a church just metres away from the cafe. New South Wales (NSW) state Premier Mike Baird and Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione also joined mourners, who included Johnson's partner of 14 years.

A quote from philosopher Rumi under a photo of Johnson graced the cover of the funeral booklet: "Outside the ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there."

More than 1,000 people attended a separate memorial service for 38-year-old Dawson at her alma mater, Sydney University. Her three children, aged four, six and eight, each chose a song for the service: "Santa Claus is Coming to Town", "Somewhere over the Rainbow", and "The Gambler" respectively.

A huge carpet of thousands of bouquets of flowers in Martin Place was removed early on Tuesday as thunderstorms threatened to drench the city. The flowers will be crushed into mulch and scattered at a site to be determined.

Meanwhile, NSW state opposition leader John Robertson resigned after coming under pressure when it was revealed he signed a letter to support Monis gaining access to his children in a dispute with his second wife.

related articles
Sydney Siege: Three dead, including gunman, police confirm
Sydney Siege: Three dead, including gunman, police confirm

Sydney Siege: Three dead, including gunman, police confirm

Sydney Siege gunman Man Haron Monis called Islam a religion of peace
Sydney Siege gunman Man Haron Monis called Islam a religion of peace

Sydney Siege gunman Man Haron Monis called Islam a religion of peace

Sydney siege aftermath: Why labels like \'good\' and \'evil\' don\'t help anyone
Sydney siege aftermath: Why labels like 'good' and 'evil' don't help anyone

Sydney siege aftermath: Why labels like 'good' and 'evil' don't help anyone

News
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens
The groundbreaking BBC series that brought Jesus to TV screens

Seventy years ago, in February 1956, the BBC aired the mini-series “Jesus of Nazareth”, which was the first filming of the life of Jesus to be created for television. This is the story …

Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes
Christians mobilised to oppose extreme abortion law changes

Christians are being asked to urge peers to support amendments tabled by Baronesses Monckton and Stroud.

Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror
Thousands of Christians return to churches in north-east Nigeria despite years of terror

The faithful are returning “in their thousands, not hundreds” despite more than a decade of brutal violence.

Trump is '100 per cent' more spiritual after assassination attempt, says pastor friend
Trump is '100 per cent' more spiritual after assassination attempt, says pastor friend

Trump's pastor and friend Mark Burns said the US President knows "the hand of God' was on him when he survived the 2024 assassination attempt.