ISIS attack kills dozens in Yemen

At least 60 people have been killed in a suicide attack on a military compound in Yemen on Monday.

ISIS have claimed responsibility for the bombing after a man drove a car laden with explosives into a compound run by pro-government local militias in Aden in one of the deadliest attacks in the southern Yemeni port city.

An official from Medecins Sans Frontieres said at least 60 others were brought into a nearby hospital run by the medical charity in Aden's Mansoura district.

A security source said the attack targeted a school compound where conscripts of the Popular Committees, forces allied to the President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, were gathered for breakfast.

The blast rocked the area and sent debris flying, sending residents fleeing, one witness said.

Islamist militants have exploited an 18-month-old civil war between the Houthis and Hadi's supporters and launched a series of attacks targeting senior officials, religious figures, security forces and compounds of the Saudi-led Arab military coalition which supports Hadi.

Around 2.5 million Yemenis have been displaced by the conflict.

Newsletter Stay up to date with Christian Today
News
Royal College of Nursing criticised for display of trans flag
Royal College of Nursing criticised for display of trans flag

Typically a flag denotes the ownership of a tribe or group over an area.

Christians call for ceasefire amid DRC's Ebola crisis
Christians call for ceasefire amid DRC's Ebola crisis

So far 131 people have been killed by the outbreak.

Without a culture shift, Christian street preachers will continue to be arrested
Without a culture shift, Christian street preachers will continue to be arrested

Christian street preachers are almost invariably arrested under a section of law that was originally intended to deal with football hooliganism.

Thoughts on Ruth
Thoughts on Ruth

Jewish academic and Hebrew scholar Irene Lancaster reflects on poor judges and famine through the lens of the book of Ruth.