Conor McGregor drops featherweight title, Jose Aldo now the undisputed division champion

A simple schedule reshuffle for the Ultimate Fighting Championship's upcoming Dec. 10 event had Conor McGregor stripped of his featherweight division belt making José Aldo the new official champion for the category.

The decision was announced by commentator Jon Anik during the main card broadcast of UFC Melbourne over the weekend. As it turns out light-heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier's groin injury prompted him to be pulled out of the spectacle against Anthony Johnson. And in the spirit of keeping the date as enticing as possible, the co-main event fight between featherweight contenders Max Holloway and Anthony Pettis will become the headliner for the occasion.

Amplifying the stakes in the bout, what was supposed to only be an interim featherweight title fight against interim champion Aldo will offer a legitimate shot at the title with Aldo being promoted as the division's champion. This technically had the UFC taking the title from McGregor who beat the Brazilian mixed martial artist in such an impressive fashion last year at UFC 194.

The community wasted no time in airing their reactions for the move with a lot of them questioning the decision as it was almost counterintuitive. NGAUGE Inc. creator Stephan Bonnar tweeted that the UFC "pried it from his cold dead hands," referring to McGregor's belt. Flyweight fighter Neil Seery, on the other hand, argued that just handing Aldo the belt do not exactly make him feel like a champion as long as the Notorious is active.

McGregor has yet to give his side of the story which is kind of unusual for the opinionated and unfiltered Irish mixed martial artist. But when his agent, Audie Attar, was asked last week by ESPN's Five Rounds podcast about what the athlete will do if UFC asks him to hand over his featherweight title, Attar was had a positive spin on it.

"He's a businessman, so he is going to make business decisions," Attar said. "No matter what happens, nobody will ever be able to take those belts away from him. Nobody has beat him for those belts. So the way I look at it is, whatever business decision Conor decides to make, it's a smart one. We have proven that to date.

"If a belt is taken or what have you, it's figurative. He still keeps that win. Nobody beat him to dethrone him," he added.

So far, no upcoming match is scheduled for Mystic Mac as he is taking some time off for the birth of his first child with longtime girlfriend Dee Devlin. However, rumors of him eventually fighting Floyd Mayweather Jr. have been floating around for quite some time now, furthered by a little goading from both parties involved.

News
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings
New Catholic head says lessons must be learned from abuse failings

The newly installed Archbishop of Westminster has said the Church must learn from victims of sexual abuse.

Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report
Young adults abandon marriage as pensioners overtake under-25s - report

The institution of marriage has undergone a dramatic transformation over the past five decades - particularly among young adults.

Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent
Iconic cathedral to run truth project during Lent

One of England’s most well-known, historic and picturesque cathedrals has announced plans to run a Lent series looking at truth in the modern world.